Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dopeyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 5, 2005
Los Angeles!
Not sure if it belongs here or in the windows section..... ???

Has anyone's BootCamp fail to load and/or work after installing and playing with Mavericks?

I installed Mavericks on an external drive to check it out... I only messed with the Maps and the tabs in Finder...

So then I go back to ML (main drive) and stay there....

Later on, my son wants to go into BC (he does his gaming there) it just froze at the white screen.. (Win7 Ult/64bit)

So I deleted the partition and started all over again... The partition got created and when it restarted to boot up from the Win7 dvd, it just stood there at the white screen (same as when I wanted to go into BC before I re-did the partition)....

The external with Mavericks isn't even connected...

ResPublica

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011

Has anyone's BootCamp fail to load and/or work after installing and playing with Mavericks?

I installed Mavericks on an external drive to check it out... I only messed with the Maps and the tabs in Finder...

Later on, my son wants to go into BC (he does his gaming there) it just froze at the white screen.. (Win7 Ult/64bit)

So I deleted the partition and started all over again... The partition got created and when it restarted to boot up from the Win7 dvd, it just stood there at the white screen (same as when I wanted to go into BC before I re-did the partition)....

try booting from the Win DVD by keep pressing Option after the boot sound (or C, for 'CD')

ResPublica

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
Make sure you remove all possible connected hardware etc. Rerun the Boot Camp application. Try to boot the OS X Install DVD (to see if you can boot other DVD's). And if there's really no other way, you could try the rEFIt Boot Loader as an alternative for the Apple boot loader; http://refit.sourceforge.net
I've never had any negative experience with that program. Or better; http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/ which is still being maintained.

lcmazza

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2012
Maybe this can help you out?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4144252?start=0&tstart=0

turbotoes

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2010
France
I installed mavericks straight over my mountain lion install and it had no effect on my windows 8 boot camp partition at all. All is working fine.

lcmazza

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2012
I have just installed Mavericks on an external hard drive on my rMBP and Bootcamp is untouched, as well as ML. Everything working properly.

Dopeyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 5, 2005
Los Angeles!
Make sure you remove all possible connected hardware etc. Rerun the Boot Camp application. Try to boot the OS X Install DVD (to see if you can boot other DVD's). And if there's really no other way, you could try the rEFIt Boot Loader as an alternative for the Apple boot loader; http://refit.sourceforge.net
I've never had any negative experience with that program. Or better; http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/ which is still being maintained.

This worked....

As soon as I removed the usb connection of my hub, the win7 dvd started booting up from the white screen.....

Thanks for the tip!!

And also a big thanks as well to the others that posted suggestions!!

1BadMac

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2010
I installed mavericks straight over my mountain lion install and it had no effect on my windows 8 boot camp partition at all. All is working fine.

Yep, same experience here. And the BootCamp partition / VM runs flawlessly in Fusion!

sammy2066

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2007
The boot camp assistant can't seem to partition the SSD on my rMBP. It keeps giving me an unable to create partition error. Any thoughts?

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
It seems that I have the same, installing 10.9 over 10.8 corrupted the Bootcamp partition/Windows 7 and the 10.6.8 partition. Trying to get 10.6.8 back with Time Machine. Windows isn't backed up...

I can't restart with the 10.6 partition, but can into Bootcamp, but then I only get a black screen asking for the Windows DVD. I can only perform a clean install which isn't my preference!

When restarting and holding ALT I do see (sometimes) 10.6.8, but I don't see Bootcamp. When selecting 10.6.8 I get a gray icon that it can't startup and it immediately startup 10.9.

In System preferences / Start-up disk I do see Bootcamp and 10.9 partitions, but not 10.6.

MacLadybug

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2008
Worked fine for me...

I just installed Mavericks on my 2007 iMac that has a Boot Camp partition running Windows 7... I chose Macintosh HD for the install and it went perfectly. Mavericks installed perfectly and the Boot Camp partition was not disturbed at all. My "Dark Side" is running just as perfect as before.

The thought that I may never be forced to have to reinstall Windows again is thrilling.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.