ML + MBP = Automatic Brightness Adjust not working anymore

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by teekayx, Aug 6, 2012.

1. teekayx macrumors newbie

Well topic says it all. I don't know if it's Mountain Lion or the retina MacBook Pro, but for me the automatic brightness adjust doesn't seem to work anymore(dont know if it ever worked though, as this machine was new and installed ML on it). Tried to reset PRAM and SMC (though I dont know if it has resetted SMC memory.. there is no feedback).. still no luck.. if i sit in a dark room and had the brightness at 100% before i rebooted my MBP, it will happily reboot with 100% brightness. kinda sucks.

I just tried it out with my old non-retina mac book pro. Same thing. With Mountain it seems like the brightness adjustment doesn't work anymore..
    anybody else has this issue?

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Just to make sure, automatic brightness adjust isn't disabled in the System Preferences Display panel, right?

Attached Files:

3. teekayx thread starter macrumors newbie

Hehe yes, it isn't disabled. It just doesn't work at all.

4. AzN1337c0d3r macrumors 6502

Works fine for me. May want to make sure your brightness isn't maxed out.

5. teekayx thread starter macrumors newbie

it's pretty much in the middle. wonder why this is not working for me.

6. oyebto macrumors regular

i noticed the change in brightness levels in mountain lion are a lot more gradual, hence if you cover the isight camera for a while, it takes a few seconds to register. although some may think the auto brightness levels are faulty, it can actually be a good thing: using my macbook whilst taking a train will prevent my screen from changing brightness every second.

7. teekayx thread starter macrumors newbie

You are pretty much right :D Thanks a lot, the changes are very subtle, didn't notice them at all.
    What still makes me wonder is why the screen was far too bright in a pitch black room at nights.. have to check that one out. Did they change the behaviour that the brightness only adjusts in a range of let's say 20% around the position where one has set the brightness in the first place? If I remember correctly the old behaviour was far more aggressive going to the lowest brightness setting in a dark room..

8. -MRB macrumors 6502

I'm sure I had a small niggle with Auto Brightness after installing ML. I couldn't adjust it from the keyboard. A quick restart solved the problem I believe.

9. orangegold macrumors newbie

This is going to sound crazy.... but this really did work for me... I tried the PRAM and SMC reset and it did not work... finally I went to settings where you can check it on or off and I just spam clicked it about 50 times, and then like magic, it was just working again. Spam clicking it must have reset something :) Anyways, made a MacRumors account just to share the solution.