ML Notes app on Mavericks

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by zeemeerman2, Jul 25, 2013.

1. zeemeerman2 macrumors 6502

Is it possible tot get the Mountain Lion version working on Mavericks? Coming from Word, then notepad, the skeuomorphic design and interface of the Notes app really improves my workflow.
    I want to upgrade to Mavericks when it's released, but this one tiny change of the Notes app still quirks me because it will probably mess up my workflow.

So is it possible to use the Mountain Lion version working (perhaps via little edits in the app package) or not? Thanks.

2. SAdProZ macrumors 6502

SAdProZ

Have you looked into third-party notes apps that mimic Apple Notes? I've seen quite a few that range from "equally basic" to "we've added features." And a few follow that skeumorphic principle.

3. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

:eek:

I guess there's a first for everything.

The Notes app in Mavrix now has the "Find" commands working again. You can search through your document text once again. Mountain Lion (and Lion) can't do that. Other than this, the functionality is the same so I don't know how the cheesy looks of the UI affect workflow.

As an alternative, there's always text edit.

4. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

Why notes ever even needed to exist is beyond me...

I never could figure out what was so wrong with with using TextEdit that Apple had to make the same application, but worse, with a paper background.

Plus there was already a Stickies app and pretty much everyone has Pages too.

5. pickaxe macrumors 6502a

It's a central location to jot down/paste bits of information and have it sync with iOS. The sync part is the biggest sell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

6. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

exactly. sync. being able to keep my notes organized between my mac and my iphone is ESSENTIAL... :cool:

7. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

They could have just allowed iOS Notes to sync documents with TextEdit. Or even better made TextEdit for iOS and removed Notes.

8. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Textedit isn't really suitable as a notepad.

I'm not sure why you're so against Notes.

9. comics addict macrumors 6502a

Make me a second then. I really enjoy the skeuomorphic design since it felt like a breath of fresh air to the UI of computer applications while conveying exactly what physical item they were trying to replace.

10. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

So the word "Notes" throws you off? :D

Just jerkin' your chain.

I go way back to the DOS days when silly-assed arrogant coders figured us feeble minded peons needed metaphors just to turn the machines on/off. I also drove vehicles with rabbits and turtles to denote acceleration.

In a nutshell, I've always found this kind of crap insulting.

11. Bear macrumors G3

Or they could've made Stickies sync via iCloud.

12. comics addict macrumors 6502a

No, what I refer to actually its that is visually appealing to me and makes me really enjoy working/viewing the app I am in. Try that with their new/old chrome look for apps like Calendar on Mavericks. The only reason I am gonna upgrade my Mac to 10.9 is for all the added features and improvements under the hood but I am wary of any UI changes until I get to see it.

13. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

Not much for me to add except me too...

14. comics addict macrumors 6502a

Sad that Apple is so hostile to it since Johnny Ive took over.

15. ZacNicholson macrumors 6502a

ZacNicholson

Me too

16. newagemac macrumors 68020

No what is really sad is that none of these people ever spoke up when Apple was getting raked over the coals for having skeuomorphic elements in the UI.

But now that's its gone they want to come out of their shells and complain its gone. Serves them right.

I sort of liked it myself but it doesn't bother me that it's gone. The current "flat" trend is just another design/fashion trend that everyone will be running from a few years from now. Then skeumorphism or something else will be the "in" thing.

17. Saturn1217 macrumors 6502a

hmmm... I use the notes app in ML everyday and I've never had a problem with skeumorphism here but I won't mind it leaving either.

I think the problem is that unlike the new iOS 7, OSX doesn't have a fresh unified look so when you strip out skeumorphism you get strange bare looking apps especially true with the notes app. As long as it doesn't effect functionality I don't really care but it would be nice to see (in perhaps 10.10) OSX get an iOS 7 kind of makeover. Doesn't need to look like iOS 7 but something cohesive and different than what we have now would be nice.

18. CoconutWater macrumors newbie

CoconutWater

The fact is that if you use the new notes app you will see that its really hard on the eyes. Line spacing between each one is terribly close and the lack of lines doesn't help either.

Also the font is really small. I always used Helvetica as the default font. Marker felt is disgusting.. I used a trick to make the default font size always a 20 pt.

But back to the original question posted here.. any tricks to make it look more like the old one in some ways?

19. AppleDeviceUser macrumors 6502

AppleDeviceUser

1 reason, it syncs with iOS. They needed a basic text editor that would sync with iOS to get your ideas quickly back and forth, it wouldn't work if, pages, text edit or sticky notes synced with iOS because they are all different and then you would have to make a new notes app for iOS. It makes perfect sense, say your on the way to work and you suddenly come up with a great idea for a story you are writing as a hobby at home, you quickly whip out your iPhone and write it down. When you get home it's on your mac, ready to copy and paste from notes, or just read and rewrite.

20. icedbullet, Aug 4, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2013

icedbullet macrumors newbie

I use notes on my iPhone and I find it an essential day to day app for keeping my ideas/daily task notes in sync with my macbook pro. I personally don't mind the design of it, I never had an issue with skeuomorphic designs on iOS or OSX.

That being said, I do think that a design change was needed. As long as the core functionality of the notes app remains the same, I don't mind a design update.

Or maybe I'm biased...I do love brown leather and stitching on my tech :p

[​IMG]

21. benwiggy macrumors 68020

Indeed. This shows that not only can you not please all of the people all of the time, it shows that people don't listen to other people's complaints.

Personally, I don't mind skeu, but not when it's taken to a ridiculous degree, which I think it was with things like the yellow leather trim. I would like a little more colour in my OS, though.