ML System Footprint Size

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by eddjedi, Jul 10, 2012.

1. eddjedi macrumors regular

I asked this in another thread but it got buried, so apologies for asking again. Can anyone that has upgraded to ML from Lion tell me whether it is larger or smaller (in terms of the space it takes up on the hard drive) than Lion? and if so/not by how much? Every GB counts on my 64GB MBA.

Thanks.

2. eddjedi thread starter macrumors regular

Wow I thought this would be one of the easier questions to answer! Surely somebody must have noticed an increase/decrease in installation size? I'd have thought this would be a big talking point. People seem more concerned with whether Windows works on it! :)

3. Nermal, Jul 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2012

Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

A fresh install of the GM with no additional apps has used 15.81 GB on my Early 2011 MBP. I don't have a reference for Lion.

Edit: I apologise; I forgot to subtract the size of the sleepimage and swap files (I have 8 GB of RAM). It's 7.24 GB once I take those into account.

4. Arelunde macrumors 6502a

Arelunde

Wow - that's HUGE!!!

I read in another thread recently that Lion took some 8 GB once installed with a download was compressed to about 3 GB.

5. eddjedi thread starter macrumors regular

Just upgraded and it increased the size of my system by about 500mb. Disappointing but not too bad.