ML-Up-to-Date multiple Macs.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by DaDalle, Jul 25, 2012.

1. DaDalle macrumors member

Hi there,

I'm currently requesting my ML copy via up-to-date. Someone told me, that I would be able to install it on my old iMax, even though it was not purchased in this time period.

So my question is now, if I do so, do I have to add the serial numbers in the new MBA and the iMac, or just the MBA?

Thanks for any advice.

2. KPOM macrumors G5

I believe just the MBA, but I think that the way it works is that you get a code that is valid for that computer only. I just submitted my form, and my receipt (it comes in a PDF with the password in another e-mail) indicates that you may use only one content code for each qualifying computer, but I have only one Mac anyway.

They check the serial number against their purchase date database. It takes just a few minutes to get the code.

3. deeddawg macrumors 604

If they let you do it, then imagine it'd work just as it did for Lion upgrades. You login to the App store on the other Mac and install.

See http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4854

Not sure what you're talking about with entering the old mac's serial number.

4. DaDalle thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I've only entered one serial number. I'll write back once the install is finished.

5. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

i was under the impression you can use it on as many mac's as you would like. The main reason they need a serial is to prove that you purchased it.

6. KPOM macrumors G5

Nice. Did you get the "code has already been used" error message? I did, but I noticed that Mountain Lion showed up in my Purchases tab anyway, so I was able to download it.

That may be true. I have just one Mac so I can't test it.

7. SpoekGTi macrumors regular

It's the same with Lion, you buy or get the free upgrade and that will be linked to your Apple ID and with that you are eligible to install the OS on 5 Mac's of choice

8. ahostmadsen macrumors 6502a

I don't think so. The fine print says:

"The OS X Mountain Lion software content code must be used solely with the products that qualify for this offer."

So, if you have another older Mac, you are not legally allowed to install the free upgrade you received with your new Mac. I don't know if it's technically impossible to install it on another Mac.

9. posguy99 macrumors 6502

No, you are NOT.

A purchase through the MAS, tied to your Apple ID, is eligible to be installed on up to five machines you own. A purchase tied to a particular serial number can only be installed on that serial number.

By your logic, if you bought the machine with ML on it, you would be entitled to install it on other machines than the one on which it shipped.

ML's license is no different than that of Lion, Lion's license does not allow what you propose either.

10. asting macrumors 6502

The question is really if Apple cares or not, and how the system is implemented.
    If they don't let you purchase another copy and link it to your id because you already "own" it then they can't be too upset if you use it on multiple computers. They're kind of condoning/encouraging the situation then by not allowing you an alternative.

11. stchman macrumors 6502a

If I understand Apple OS X licensing correctly you can legally install OS X on 5 Apple computers with your purchase.

Also, I don't think Apple has any authentication keys like Windows so you can install it on your iMac, Mac Mini, Macbook, etc.

12. posguy99 macrumors 6502

No, the question is what the license says.

I don't know where you've been, but nothing stops me from buying the OS via the MAS, even though I may have a per-computer license. That is, in fact, the only way I can stay within the terms of the license.

Now, the MAS *may* be trying to stop stupids from buying things they already have if you try to purchase a license via a machine already running ML, but that's just consumer protection.

Finally, Apple is free to distribute according to whatever license they want through whatever venue they want. You don't get to pick and choose the license.

----------

Depending on the license you obtained when you purchased the software. Your single-computer license, for example, would not entitle you to install on multiple computers.

The presence or absence of authentication keys has nothing to do with what machines you can install ML on. The installer reads the machine gestalt and will not install on unsupported machines.

13. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

I haven't downloaded ML yet, but I purchased an iMac last year and was able to take advantage of the Lion up-to-date upgrade. Once I entered the redemption code in the App Store, Lion was considered "purchased" by me. There would be no way to purchase it again under the same Apple ID, on a different computer.

I don't know if it's the same with ML.

14. OziMac macrumors 6502

The licence is the Mac App Store licence.

The terms of redemption for the Up-to-date program allow you to only redeem one content code per qualifying Mac and use that code only with the qualifying Mac (i.e. redeem the code on the Mac App Store through that Mac). That code allows you to redeem a copy of Mountain Lion on the Mac App Store - which in turn is bound by the Mac App Store licence.

So strictly speaking, you would be permitted to use it as per any other purchase on the Mac App Store. Happy for Apple to qualify this further, but those are the terms of the licence that apply to the software, not to the redemption program.

15. asting macrumors 6502

Right, because the agreement matters... Not what is enforced.:rolleyes:

Right, my mistake. You already redeemed your free upgrade and tried to then purchase an additional license?

Ultimately agreements and fine print don't matter and what does matter is what the company is willing/let's you do. I'm not saying it is that way, because hell no one has a working code yet as far as I know (for free upgrades anyway). I was merely suggesting it as a possibility. This same freedom to implement their rules as they see fit is how any business cuts you a break, makes an exception, etc. This is where quality customer service is born (I'm not saying that this particular implementation counts as quality customer service, but they definitely have the freedom to do as they please).