Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
tied in the bottom of the 9th
then they call the game?
Yep - spring training.

The idea is to get people into game shape, shake off the winter rust and tune up your game. Extra innings will only cause more problems with people's conditioning and serve no real purpose.

Reactions: Rafterman

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Yep - spring training.

The idea is to get people into game shape, shake off the winter rust and tune up your game. Extra innings will only cause more problems with people's conditioning and serve no real purpose.
I guess i missed that Strikeout by Jo Adell (strikes out swinging). for the 3rd out
MLB or the Angel broadcast did not show that for some reason
i will forget for evermore!

i know,
no extras in spring traiin!

Reactions: maflynn

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
I disagree. I think teams should have hired some college softball players to teach MLB players how to slap the ball the opposite direction. That would have fixed the problem.

Hank Aaron hit 755 HR's without gloves. There is no need for today's players to restrap their gloves after every pitch. So if the players don't like this rule, get a mirror so you can see who caused this to have to be a rule.

I would have rather just seen a double base at first. Like Alex Cora said, they look like pizza boxes.

Do you know how many times I have yelled this to barry bonds !?!?

FLwR4pj.png

• Haha
Reactions: rhett7660

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
Fair enough, but I am so tired of pitchers throwing to first incessantly, taking their time, and spending eons waving off the catcher until they see fit.

For me it's not the pitcher, but the hitters stepping out after every pitch to restrap their gloves. Hank Aaron hit 755 HR's without gloves. Get in the damn box and be ready for the pitch.

Reactions: Rafterman

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
I hate the no-shift rule. That has been a time honored defensive play for decades. They are taking all the strategy out of the game.

I like it but you're not wrong.

No matter who they used the shift on they never seemed to try and hit the ball the other way. ugh!

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I didn't catch anyone trying to drive the ball to the open side of the infield, but I did see several attempts to push a bunt towards 3rd as the third baseman was in the shortstop position. I think that's a testament to how difficult it is to hit a baseball, let alone alter your swing and still hit the ball.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I think that's a testament to how difficult it is to hit a baseball, let alone alter your swing and still hit the ball.
That was my point earlier in this thread. If a MLB player could push/pull to mitigate the shift they would have. The era of the uber-shift really changed the game and made it less watchable because they would largely just hit it to a shifted infiielder.

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
I didn't catch anyone trying to drive the ball to the open side of the infield, but I did see several attempts to push a bunt towards 3rd as the third baseman was in the shortstop position. I think that's a testament to how difficult it is to hit a baseball, let alone alter your swing and still hit the ball.
It is but still...
They are pros... so I'm sure they could do it.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
That was my point earlier in this thread. If a MLB player could push/pull to mitigate the shift they would have. The era of the uber-shift really changed the game and made it less watchable because they would largely just hit it to a shifted infiielder.

You are making the assumption that the player has a choice. I remember back when I was playing, it was a rare occurrence when Skip would get involved in an at-bat. Maybe if he wanted to do a hit & run or maybe a take, but other than that, it was up to us as the hitter to get on base.

Now, those calls have been taken away from even the managers and the analytics people are trying to micro-manage every pitch.

The players can do it, they just aren't being allowed to.

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
You are making the assumption that the player has a choice. I remember back when I was playing, it was a rare occurrence when Skip would get involved in an at-bat. Maybe if he wanted to do a hit & run or maybe a take, but other than that, it was up to us as the hitter to get on base.

Now, those calls have been taken away from even the managers and the analytics people are trying to micro-manage every pitch.

The players can do it, they just aren't being allowed to.
Or they are too proud ... I feel like some of those guys want to try and beat the shift by hitting into the shift. lol.

Reactions: Herdfan

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Or they are too proud ... I feel like some of those guys want to try and beat the shift by hitting into the shift. lol.

I read that Joe DiMaggio retired because he couldn't pull everything. Opposite field hitting wasn't good enough for him, I guess.

Back in my own playing days, I barely remember being given any instruction by the third base coach. My most famous extra inning walkoff home run, however, came after I ignored a "bunt" sign on a 2-0 count. A high school-aged Barry Bonds was in the stands for the end of that game, so I held a very brief lead in our personal home run contest.

Bodhitree

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
C’mon the Classic is very cool. Cuba and Japan already made the semi’s, and the USA have a tricky quarterfinal game against Venezuela (who are unbeaten so far) to join them.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Speaking of the WBC, Edwin Diaz suffered a patellar tendon injury while celebrating Puerto Rico's victory against the Dominican Republic. He's undergoing surgery today and will miss at least six months. Rough.

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
I read that Joe DiMaggio retired because he couldn't pull everything. Opposite field hitting wasn't good enough for him, I guess.

Back in my own playing days, I barely remember being given any instruction by the third base coach. My most famous extra inning walkoff home run, however, came after I ignored a "bunt" sign on a 2-0 count. A high school-aged Barry Bonds was in the stands for the end of that game, so I held a very brief lead in our personal home run contest.
I have a new favorite baseball story now...

Did I tell you I met the guy who gave BB's 400ft single?

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I really haven't followed the WBC but I caught some last night's game. It was good, and it seemed the Japanese seemed just a tiny bit better then the US and the ending score seems to confirm that.

Congrats to the Japanese on winning the WBC

Reactions: pachyderm

Bodhitree

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
It strikes me that without having series of games there is a lot more variability in the outcomes? It might well be that in a best-of-five or best-of-seven series the USA might well have won, it was a star-studded batting lineup with the likes of Mookie Betts, Mike Trout, Kyle Schwarber and Realmuto.

But with a single game, Japan was able to lock up the last few innings with pitching from Yu Darvish and Ohtani and squeeze out a 3-2 win. They did look sharp though, and it’ll be interesting to see what Yoshida will do with the Red Sox this year.

Reactions: pachyderm

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
I really haven't followed the WBC but I caught some last night's game. It was good, and it seemed the Japanese seemed just a tiny bit better then the US and the ending score seems to confirm that.

Congrats to the Japanese on winning the WBC
Congrats to Japan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.