MLB at bat

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Robin4, May 8, 2010.

1. Robin4 macrumors 6502

I am so confused. The app. description says that you watch a simulation of a game, you get to see actual playbacks.

Question: If I am a METS fan, do I get to watch a live game every day (except when it is blocked)? Or do I have to pay for MLB.tv in addition to be able to do that. I can deal with watching one game a day, as long as I watch my team.

Or, is it a simulation with a radio broadcast and playbacks.

Also, there were lots of complaints about the iPad application. Has that been resolved?

I would be truly grateful to hear from people that have been watching the iPad version for the last few weeks. Thanks

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You pay for the MLB app which gives you two (I think) free games per day or get the mlbtv subscription to give you access to all games excluding blackout games. It's a racket which i gladly pay for.

3. Robin4 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks so much!

I just got my iPad. This was going to be my first "expensive" app and I was totally rattled.

It is all relative I guess. I wouldn't think too much about spending the same amount for a dish in a restaurant.

4. jedolley macrumors 68000

Keep in mind the audio (radio broadcast) is included. On the PC, At Bat w/Gameday Audio is $20 per season. Of course, it's still up to the consumer if this is a good deal, but i like it. My only gripe is that the simulation is ahead of the audio.

5. xxRONNIExx macrumors regular

xxRONNIExx

It's one free game a day:) and I love this app, definitely a must have!

6. camarobh macrumors 6502

If you love baseball, this app is a must have. Add the MLB TV option and watch baseball wherever you and your iPad happen to be that day. My only complaint is with MLB and blackout rules. I can watch any game except my local team, and on the weekends there are strange rules to protect the game on Fox.

7. Wimmachine macrumors newbie

8. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

In the past, I've gone without TV service of any kind, but have had an MLB.TV subscription. That means I had no way of watching my local team (the Braves). The blackout rules are definitely bogus. :mad:

9. romeo.xk macrumors 6502a

Ok, I'm lost... I was almost sure I had seen the option that MLB at bat gave me the option to watch one game per day, but when I click on the icon to watch live it just takes me to the log on to MLBTV, so, can you guys tell me how is it that I can watch that one game a day? The video game looking screen does ok, but I prefer actual video... Thank you in advance.

10. imcquill macrumors member

Even if your local games are blacked out, if you subscribe to MLB.TV, you can watch the games after they are completed. These are the "archived games"

The only problem with that is that the MLB at bat app on the iPad doesn't have the archives included. You need to use a mac or PC to view those games. I emailed a request to the makers to add the archives to the iPad app and they said they were "evaluating" whether or not to add the archives to the app during the season. I sure hope they do.

A tip for MLB.TV subscribers: the flash player in the webbrowser totally blows compared to the MLB app inside (the new version of) BOXEE. I'm blown away with the quality of the video and player in BOXEE.

11. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

You'll never be able to watch games in your local market, because of the stupid blackout rules. As another poster said, you can watch the games AFTER they are broadcast....but not on the iPad.

MLB sucks. :p

You don't get to choose the game, MLB selects one game per day that you can watch for free.

Take a look at my other post here to see a screenshot:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=9659823&postcount=36

It will label the game the Free game of the day. They don't pre-announce what games are going to be free either.

-Kevin

12. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

MLB also did a nice job with the audio in that you can send the audio to Safari, and it can run in the background so you can do other things on the iPad.

Works pretty well.

-Kevin

13. Windyridge macrumors newbie

MLB At Bat Can anybody help me?

Hi there,

I am a lucky UK citizen who had a friend bring back an IPad from the States. I'm loving it, especially MLB At Bat 2010. Nearly everything works. Game audio, free game of the day video, the live scores across the top of the screen. But the Scoreboard itself and animated display of pitches etc does not. If I click on an ongoing game at the top of the screen, the logos of the teams appear, but the scoreboard remains at 0 0 regardless of the score shown above. No batter ever appears on the empty diamond. Also it says no video highlights are available for this game. Given that everything else works, do you have any ideas? Thank you for reading this and I hope you can help.

Peter
    UK

14. RUnited macrumors newbie

I'm using this app from Thailand and unfortunately i have a problem over 3G... Everything works except live games. I cAn't watch live games unless I'm connected to wifi.

If anyone has any idea why this would a problem Please let me know.

Thank you.

15. Moocher macrumors regular

App doesn't work over 3G. That's just the way it is. Maybe later.

Mooch

16. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

Live game streaming most definitely works over 3G.

17. RUnited macrumors newbie

App does work over 3G as I was in Australia 2 weeks ago and it worked there...

problems seems to be with the Thailand Mobile network, but I was hoping there's a fix for it...

18. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

How wrong can you be....works fine over 3G here in the US! And Mexico and Canada, where i have firends that have used it over 3G, so shhhhhh if you dont know speicifcs ;)

19. Matze20111984 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I'm from germany and on 28th May the iPad will be launched here too. I'm a huge MLB fan and I already have the mlb.tv premium subscription. I'd love to see a screenshot of a live game to see the quality of the livegame stream. I'd be very thankful if someone can do this for me.

Regards

20. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Here's some from tonight's Phillies/Pirates game (the free game) over Wi-Fi.

-Kevin

Attached Files:

21. Matze20111984 macrumors newbie

Thank you very much, does look good to me. So I'm really thinking about buying one althougt the prices here in germany are extremely high!!!!! In the us the ipad costs 499$, we have to pay 499€, so almost 600$!!!!

22. Moocher macrumors regular

Sorry. Tried it. Didn't work. I should have checked more thoroughly and improperly made an assumption based on one trial.

Mooch

23. KevinM2 macrumors 6502

Peter,

Did you ever get this fixed? I have a US iPad (living in the UK), and I get exactly the same happening as you describe when watching.

Annoying, to say the least.

Thanks,
    Kevin.

24. Windyridge macrumors newbie

At Bat

No I didn't. I wonder if everything will be OK once the App Store opens. I can't see why it should, but just have a hunch. Nobody in the US seems to have the problem...

25. bjobes macrumors regular

At Bat updated - It now shows the pitch shadows. Cool feature