MLB ATV Free Game of the Day ?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by MurphyM, May 9, 2011.

1. MurphyM macrumors 6502

Can anyone clarify the Free Game of the Day on Apple TV from MLB? Their web site makes it look like anyone can get a free game per day, I don't see any disclaimer about having to buy a package.

When I'm signed into my MLB account on the Apple TV I don't see anything about which game is free today.

I've looked all over for a schedule of which upcoming games are free and can't find anything. Can anyone help?

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/subscriptions/appletv.jsp

2. beto2k7 macrumors 6502

On iPad tap on game schedules. It will tell you which game is free for that day[​IMG].

3. MurphyM thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks.
    I used to do that when I had an iPad. I don't have one anymore.

Is there somewhere else you can see which game is free for the Apple TV? Guessing it's the same game that's free on the iPad...

On the iPad you have to buy at least one of the audio packages to get one free (video) game - isn't that right? I had audio on the iPad last year, I don't remember them providing free video to people who didn't buy a package.

4. beto2k7 macrumors 6502

Well I just bought the app maybe a month ago and didn't pay more that the $14.99 the app is. During April all games were free sponsored by Volvo. Since may only one game for free but I don't have any additional package....

5. MurphyM thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm really interested to try it on the Apple TV, and even though that link in my first post makes it sound like anyone can get a free game per day I don't see ANY DETAILS anywhere.

I saw the Volvo thing back in April, but the link I posted up there doesn't say anything about that, just that there's a free game every day. Doesn't say anything about one month only or any other limits.

Like you, I had the iPad app last year and could watch a free game every day. But the Apple TV interface that lists today's games says nothing about free games.

6. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I have the full season package, but I don't see anything listed on my ATV either, as it does on the phone and the iPad. My phone is listing Tigers-Blue Jays as today's free game. It's at 7:07 CST. Maybe log in at that time and see if it says something then?

7. MurphyM thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll do that and see what I get. Thanks.

It's kind of surprising that non-subscribers get a free game each day, but maybe they do that for Apple TV since there are so few Apple TVs out there compared to iPad, iPhone, iPod touch...

Part of me won't believe it until I see it.

8. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I guess they're hoping that you'll watch the free game and upgrade when you realize it's so awesome. :D

I'm not sure if they are doing it on ATV, but those live look-ins they've added to the iPhone and iPad app are pretty cool as well. And the best part is none of the live look ins are blacked out.

That being said, the $100 this subscription costs is totally worth it. I have access on my phone, my iPad, and at home. I'm a transplanted NY'er living in Texas and I'd never get to watch my Yankees otherwise.

9. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

This makes me want to go and buy a couple of US power cables to get my atv and monitor working! We don't have anything with HDMI in apart from that yet...

10. dmm219 macrumors 6502

They are doing it on ATV.

I do monthly subscriptions due to black out rules (some months just aren't worth it as many games are blacked out). After my April subscription expired, I was still able to watch one game a day. As far as I could tell, there was no way to figure out which game was free on the ATV...i had to try all the games and one of them would work...

11. roccobladr macrumors 6502

BUMP

I am trying so hard to watch a free game of the day on my apple tv but i can never figure it out!

On my xbox right now I can watch the yankees vs tigers, but I try it on my apple tv and it says i need to subscribe.

Is there different free games for apple tv? I don't quite understand...

12. Orchidkid macrumors newbie

You can watch the free game of the day on ATV. Just make sure that you are logged on the ATV with your free account and you can watch it. I check everyday at the media center on the website to check what game it is. I then select it on the ATV and normally chose home for announcing and it works.

Hope that helps.

13. machpost macrumors 6502

machpost

14. roccobladr macrumors 6502

oooo I don't have an mlb free account i guess thats my problem lol ill have to create one thanks!

15. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

To summarize.

1. The aTV2/3 is capable of getting the MLB Free Game of the Day.

2. The aTV2/3 doesn't explicitly tell you which game is the FGotD.

3. You need to sign-up for a free account on MLB.com and use that login on the aTV2/3 to be able to access the fFGotD.

4. If you don't know which game is the FGotD, you need to visit MLB.com from a computer, smartphone, tablet to find out.

5. The FGotD is subject to MLB blackout rules. So you won't get your local team's game, either home or away.

6. Keep in mind that the way MLB.com determines your home market is via your IP address. Sometimes it's wonky and you get loads of games blacked out. For instance, I'm in the Philly region, but back when I was with Comcast, MLB.com determined I was in York, PA ... I was blacked out for Phillies, Pirates, Nationals, and Orioles.

That's about it.

16. thekb macrumors 6502a

Old thread, new season ... I signed up for free mlb.com account, but ATV won't accept it when I try to sign in. It says unable to verify user eligibilty, or something like that. Is it still possible to view free game of the day on ATV?

17. djgcue macrumors member