Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iOS 10.3 includes a new feature that allows developers to change app icons after an app has been installed, bringing custom app icons to the iOS Home screen. Both the MLB.com At Bat and NHL iOS apps are now taking advantage of the new custom icon feature following updates released this afternoon.

In the MLB.com At Bat app, users can customize the Home screen icon of the app with MLB club-branded app icons representing their favorite team. Similarly, in the NHL app, app icons can also be customized with team logos instead of the standard NHL app icon.

To change the icons, iOS 10.3 is required. Subscribers can go to More --> Settings --> Home Screen icon and choose a team logo.

mlbcustomicons-800x707.jpg
Screenshots via TechCrunch

As TechCrunch points out, while developers are now able to change app icons without pushing a full iOS update, there is no support for dynamic app icons that would allow for things like a weather app icon that updates continually with the temperature.

Customized Home screen icons, which Apple calls "User-Selectable App Icons" may be something that we'll see a lot more of now that iOS 10.3 is available to the public. Apple has strict rules for icon customization options, requiring visual consistency, a simple icon swap interface, and explicit user permission to change an app's icon.

MLB.com At Bat can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

NHL can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: MLB.com At Bat and NHL Apps Take Advantage of Custom Icon Option in iOS 10.3

bitfactory

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
At Bat has consistently been one of the most rock solid, useful apps I've owned over the years. Their highlight video streaming is absolutely amazing - rarely buffers, and the quality is super sharp. The ability to change the icon to your home team is a fun addition.

(P.S.: The Sirius XM app is, without a doubt, the worst app I've even had the displeasure of using - they should give you the option of changing the icon to a dumpster fire).

ethanwa79

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2014
Love this new feature. We're going to let people change the color of their app icon based on the theme they chose within the app. Fun feature.

Reactions: bitfactory

skinsone

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2006
At Bat has consistently been one of the most rock solid, useful apps I've owned over the years. Their highlight video streaming is absolutely amazing - rarely buffers, and the quality is super sharp. The ability to change the icon to your home team is a fun addition.

(P.S.: The Sirius XM app is, without a doubt, the worst app I've even had the displeasure of using - they should give you the option of changing to icon to a dumpster fire).
I wish I could agree with you. It does work beautifully on both my ATVs.

However, on my iPhone 6s and iPad air pro I get nothing but studdering and pixilation most of the time. This has been going on since MLB removed the ability to change from SD-HD settings in the app. Now the only choice for video streaming is always on, wifi only or off. Doesn't make any difference which I check, video is always horrible. And yes, I'm using the same home wifi for all my devices.

Makes me happy to see the old English D everytime I open my iphone.

Reactions: BlandUsername

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
iOS 10.3 includes a new feature that allows developers to change app icons after an app has been installed
Does this mean I could finally have a weather icon that updates dyna—

there is no support for dynamic app icons that would allow for things like a weather app icon that updates continually with the temperature.
:mad:

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

(P.S.: The Sirius XM app is, without a doubt, the worst app I've even had the displeasure of using - they should give you the option of changing the icon to a dumpster fire).

And Sirius XM wonders why people don't renew their service. The last straw for me was moving NFL radio to a higher priced tier.

Reactions: Brien

Osxguy

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Keizer Oregon
All I want is a phone who's Touch ID works every time, and a battery that last five hours using the phone like normal. I swear I go off electricity and choose low power mode right away and maybe survive two to three hours..

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
All I want is a phone who's Touch ID works every time, and a battery that last five hours using the phone like normal. I swear I go off electricity and choose low power mode right away and maybe survive two to three hours..

Sounds like either you or the phone has an issue. We have 4 iPhones in my household, 1 7 plus 1 6S plus and 2 6S and all 4 are only charged at night after coming off the charger at 6/7am and used all day. The 6S plus and one of the 6S are used by my kids who are on snapchat etc all day (they go through 10GB of data a month) and still get all day battery life.

I can easily get 2 days on my 7 plus.

Do you have an issue with sweaty hands? Maybe that's why Touch ID doesn't work consistently for you.

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
So every iPhone my friends, family and I have ever had.
[doublepost=1490772277][/doublepost]Dynamic app logo changes are what we need! Weather app changing with weather, that could display temperature as well... sports apps that have the score...

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago

I like it too, except that its Apple Watch complication never updates. I can be seeing a score for the first inning after the game has concluded. And it's definitely an app-specific problem, since the complication for Sports Updates keeps the score constantly updated.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Never thought I'd see the day.

My iPhone is ready for Tuesday!

Attachments

• IMG_2973.PNG
    IMG_2973.PNG
    344.8 KB · Views: 168

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE

I couldn't agree more. Both their tvOS and iOS apps are consistently updated and I've never had issues streaming games on either platform. Same goes for the NHL app. When I originally subscribed a couple years ago, I encountered some issues, but lately it has been just as good as the MLB app.

MTBCAM88

Suspended
Feb 28, 2017
Ogden, UT
Why would anyone want to change it the Giants logo? Yuck.
Uhmmmmm maybe because some people like me are giants fans?
[doublepost=1490801668][/doublepost]
Sounds like either you or the phone has an issue. We have 4 iPhones in my household, 1 7 plus 1 6S plus and 2 6S and all 4 are only charged at night after coming off the charger at 6/7am and used all day. The 6S plus and one of the 6S are used by my kids who are on snapchat etc all day (they go through 10GB of data a month) and still get all day battery life.

I can easily get 2 days on my 7 plus.

Do you have an issue with sweaty hands? Maybe that's why Touch ID doesn't work consistently for you.
I can also easily get almost two days of battery life out of my 7 plus. I have about 75% left when I go to bed every night. Dont know what that person's problem is...
[doublepost=1490801848][/doublepost]

SiriusXM works beautifully on my phone...

ktecac

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2014
Actually love this. Hopefully this eventually leads to some other nice customizations. It is possible for Apple to maintain their strict control over theme / appearance while still allowing at least some style changes.

i've been droning on about changing the message bubbles in Messages forever... we probably all use text messaging so much that it would be nice to refresh it from time to time.

After this I'll be back to complaining about everything Apple does while still wanting to buy everything f*****!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.