MLB Hot Stove 2008

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by IJ Reilly, Oct 16, 2008.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I thought it might be too early to talk about the hot stove season as we just start to move onto the World Series, but I'm hearing enough talk about free agents already to make it interesting.

Who are some of the big free agents of 2008, and how much do you think they will be worth per season? Starting with the Dodger team members at the end of their contracts:

Rafael Furcal ($13 m). Could be worth more, but his history of injuries has to reduce his value, and it hardly helps to make three errors in one inning of your last game before free agency. Today, Furcal says he really wants to stay in LA and the Dodgers are saying they want him back.

Manny Ramirez ($24 m). Probably he will get his best offers from the AL. Can't hurt his prospects to have hit over .500 during the post-season, not to mention having been a model citizen for the past three months.

Derek Lowe ($15 m). He became one of the most reliable starters in the NL this year.

Jeff Kent ($0). He will retire, almost without a doubt.

Nomar Garciaparra ($?). Says he's considering retirement. If he does come back, it will have to be as a pinch-hitter and utility infielder.

Casey Blake ($10 m). His age argues against him getting much more.

Brad Penny ($12 m). Even journeymen starting pitchers earn $10 million these days, so Penny could be worth more, even after having missed most of 2008. The Dodgers have an option on him for next year, which they probably won't pick up.

Greg Maddux ($?). Says he's considering retirement, but why? If he does retire, somebody better snatch him up fast as a pitching coach.

2. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Watching Maddux get slapped around last night was depressing. That guy was one of my hero's as a kid and now he's basically lousy.

edit - I just googled it and his ERA with the Dodgers is above 5. Some people should just retire with grace (I'm looking at you, Jordan and Favre)

3. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Maddux did fine last night. He struck out three and gave up no runs in two innings.

4. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Shows me for tuning in late. I thought he started and all 5 were his. He did let up 2 runs, just no earned runs.

5. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I know what happened -- I was there.

So, Hot Stove talk anyone?

6. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

Furcal has been fantastic for the Dodgers when he's been healthy, but there's the rub. If I were L.A., I'd offer him three years max, like last time.

The local media seems to think McCourt won't pony up for Manny and I'm inclined to agree. I would offer him two years (with maybe an option year) for ridiculous money, but not any longer than that. You want him to be motivated and there's not much to reason to think he will be if he's got a long-term deal. My guess is that the Mets get him. They have the cash, he grew up in NYC, and would fit right in.

He hasn't been healthy in quite a while. Frankly, there's not much reason to be confident in him and his recent attitude has been annoying.

I somewhat selfishly want to see Maddux pitch for one more year. Why? So he can pass Warren Spahn on the all-time wins list. And why Warren Spahn? Because Spahn has the most wins of anyone whose career began after the dead ball era. Even if he doesn't win another game, he played mostly in a time of five-man rotations instead of four like Spahn did. One can make a pretty good case that Greg Maddux is the greatest pitcher of the last 50 years.

7. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I also read today that Jake Peavy might be available, if the Padres decide to free up some money for rebuilding efforts. He would waive his no-trade clause for only five teams, of which the Dodgers are one. I have a strong feeling that even if Peavy was to part company with San Diego, that the Padres would be loathe to trade him to any team in the NL West, and especially to the Dodgers.

If Maddux does play next season, I don't see him getting many starts. Even on a good day he has a tough time pitching enough innings to qualify for a win. Wins are an abstraction anyway.

I give better than 50/50 odds on Furcal remaining with the Dodgers. They don't have anyone coming up to replace him, not many other teams will be willing to take a chance on him, and I think he feels he's got unfinished business here.

I'd give 10-1 odds on Manny coming back. The Dodger outfield is way too crowded for them to pay him the kind of money he will fetch. The trick will be to find another certified big bat to replace him. Who will be on the market? It probably has to be someone who plays second or third.

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

It will be interesting to see where Sabathia goes this of season.

9. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Does anyone know how many, if any, years Kotsay has left on his contract?

Oh wait, should I not be posting here yet? :eek:

10. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

I'm generally not a dodger fan but I have a huge crush with the sweet team of garvey, cey, sutton, lopes, dusty, etc...but I must say that manny was a huge boost to the overall brand of the dodgers. I hope they resign him for 2 yrs

11. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

At his age, I bet Manny is looking for four years. This argues strongly for him signing with an AL team. So, sadly, I think this rules out the Dodgers. If he was willing to take two years, that makes a big difference.

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Scott Boras.

I heard he wants 25 a year for 4 years.

13. fotografica macrumors 68040

Are you kidding me???
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/jon_heyman/10/15/heyman.manny/index.html?eref=writers

Has to be posturing by Boras..I can't see a sane GM signing off on that deal.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp...2008news&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb&partnerId=rss_mlb

For the Red Sox,Varitek is a free agent.
    http://www.boston.com/sports/baseba...0/16/tonight_could_be_end_for_varitek/?page=1

Boras is his agent.He'll probably be asking for big $$$,esp considering the thin market for free agent catchers. Offensively,this year and last have been below par not to mention the amount of passed balls he's had in the post season. Sox only have one catcher in their farm system and he's at least a couple years off. They may have to bite the bullet on him for a couple more years...

14. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I would not put too much stock in early rumors where Manny is concerned. I doubt very much that anyone will want to give him six years at his age. Only a limited number of teams can afford him anyway, and even fewer are prepared to lock up that kind of salary for that many years. If the Dodgers find a way to move Juan Pierre, I think that puts them in a better position to make Manny an offer he might accept. Even better if they find a way of getting rid of that excess baggage called Andruw Jones.

15. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

Boras can always ask. I seem to recall that he thought he could get A-Rod money for Carlos Beltran too, but it didn't happen.

Supposedly, Andruw Jones isn't eager to face the LA fans next year, but I bet he isn't unhappy enough to give up $18 million for next season.

Although I was pleased to see Pierre ride the pine for much of the season, the downside is that his trade value is even lower than it was a year ago. The Angels would like his style of play, but 1) they have a crowded outfield too, and 2) they rarely make big trades with the Dodgers.

16. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

**** that, kevin cash is better than varitek. dusty brown and/or george kotteras would be too. use them as a bridge to get to Luis Exposito (currently at advanced-A) or trade Buchholz or Bowden for someone like Jeff Clement (Seattle, AAA) or Bryan Anderson (St Louis, AAA).

17. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Considering the number of variables, it's hard to make predictions, but I'm going to take a flyer and guess that the Dodgers give Jones $9 million and send him packing. As for Pierre, I think he's got more trade value than you do. The value of free agents hasn't exactly taken a nosedive over the last two years, and Pierre's numbers this year have to take into account his part-time status. If they choose to do it, I think the Dodgers could deal Pierre without taking a hit. The good news for the Dodgers is that they don't have to decide that issue in a hurry. They can wait until they've made other moves.

18. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

My worry is that a team that takes on Pierre's contract will demand one of the Dodgers' young players too.

19. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I really doubt this would happen. The Dodgers would certainly prefer to give up cash, but I question whether even that would be necessary. A number of teams were interested in Pierre two years ago when the Dodgers signed him, the value of free agents continues to climb, and the three years left on his contract is certainly more manageable than four. I know how much you dislike Pierre, but I think you'll find that if the Dodgers do decide to move him that he won't be a boat anchor. Andruw Jones, now there's a boat anchor.

20. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

2008 MLB Free Agents

First Basemen
    Rich Aurilia SF
    Ben Broussard NYY
    Carlos Delgado * NYM
    Nomar Garciaparra LAD
    Jason Giambi * NYY
    Wes Helms PHI
    Kevin Millar BAL
    Richie Sexson NYY
    Mark Teixeira LAA
    Frank Thomas OAK
    Daryle Ward CHC

Second Basemen
    Jamey Carroll * CLE
    Ray Durham MIL
    Mark Ellis OAK
    Marcus Giles COL
    Mark Grudzielanek KC
    Orlando Hudson ARZ
    Jeff Kent LAD
    Felipe Lopez STL
    D’Angelo Jimenez STL
    Pablo Ozuna LAD
    Nick Punto MIN
    Jose Valentin NYM
    Jose Vidro * SEA

Shortstops
    Orlando Cabrera CWS
    Alex Cintron CWS
    Alex Cora BOS
    Craig Counsell * MIL
    Adam Everett MIN
    Rafael Furcal LAD
    Cesar Izturis STL
    Ramon Martinez LAD
    Edgar Renteria * DET
    Juan Uribe CWS

Third Basemen
    Casey Blake LAD
    Hank Blalock * TEX
    Joe Crede CWS
    Morgan Ensberg NYY
    Chipper Jones * ATL
    Corey Koskie MIL
    Greg Norton TB

Catchers
    Rod Barajas TOR
    Henry Blanco * CHC
    Johnny Estrada WAS
    Toby Hall * CWS
    Adam Melhuse TEX
    Mike Redmond * MIN
    Ivan Rodriguez NYY
    David Ross BOS
    Javier Valentin CIN
    Jason Varitek BOS
    Vance Wilson DET
    Gregg Zaun * TOR

Outfielders
    Bobby Abreu NYY
    Moises Alou NYM
    Garret Anderson * LAA
    Rocco Baldelli TB
    Willie Bloomquist SEA
    Emil Brown OAK
    Pat Burrell PHI
    Endy Chavez NYM
    Carl Crawford * TB
    Adam Dunn ARZ
    Jim Edmonds CHC
    Cliff Floyd TB
    Brian Giles * SD
    Ken Griffey Jr. * CWS
    Vladimir Guerrero * LAA
    Raul Ibanez SEA
    Jacque Jones FLA
    Mark Kotsay ATL
    Rob Mackowiak WAS
    Kevin Mench TOR
    Jason Michaels * CLE
    Craig Monroe MIN
    Jay Payton BAL
    Scott Podsednik COL
    Manny Ramirez LAD
    Juan Rivera LAA
    Rondell White MIN

Starting Pitchers
    Kris Benson PHI
    A.J. Burnett TOR (may opt out)
    Paul Byrd BOS
    Ryan Dempster CHC
    Jon Garland LAA
    Tom Glavine ATL
    Mike Hampton * ATL
    Orlando Hernandez NYM
    Jason Jennings TEX
    Randy Johnson ARZ
    John Lackey * LAA
    Esteban Loaiza CHW
    Braden Looper STL
    Derek Lowe LAD
    Pedro Martinez NYM
    Mike Mussina NYY
    Jamie Moyer PHI
    Mark Mulder * STL
    Carl Pavano NYY
    Brad Penny * LAD
    Odalis Perez WAS
    Oliver Perez NYM
    Andy Pettitte NYY
    Mark Prior SD
    Horacio Ramirez CHW
    C.C. Sabathia MIL
    Ben Sheets MIL

John Smoltz * ATL
    Julian Tavarez ATL
    Steve Trachsel BAL
    Brett Tomko SD
    Claudio Vargas MIL
    Randy Wolf HOU

Relief Pitchers
    Jeremy Affeldt CIN
    Tony Armas Jr. PIT
    Luis Ayala WAS
    Joe Beimel LAD
    Joe Borowski CLE
    Juan Cruz ARZ
    Brendan Donnelly BOS
    Alan Embree * OAK
    Scott Eyre CHC
    Kyle Farnsworth DET
    Casey Fossum DET
    Brian Fuentes COL
    Aaron Fultz CLE
    Tom Gordon * PHI
    LaTroy Hawkins HOU
    Mark Hendrickson LAD
    Trevor Hoffman SD
    Bobby Howry CHC
    Jason Isringhausen STL
    Steve Kline SF
    Brandon Lyon ARZ
    Damaso Marte * NYY
    Tom Martin COL
    Julio Mateo PHI
    Guillermo Mota MIL
    Will Ohman CHC
    Darren Oliver LAA
    John Parrish SEA
    Chris Reitsma SEA
    Dennys Reyes MIN
    Juan Rincon CLE
    Francisco Rodriguez LAA
    Brian Shouse MIL
    Rafael Soriano ATL
    Jorge Sosa NYM
    Mike Stanton * CIN
    Salomon Torres * MIL
    Derrick Turnbow MIL
    Oscar Villarreal ATL
    David Weathers CIN
    Dave Williams NYM
    Matt Wise NYM
    Jay Witasick TB
    Kerry Wood CHC

* means the player has a 2009 option

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2002/02/2008-09-free-agents.html

21. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Players' association says teams acted in concert to not sign Bonds

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3647779
    What team would want Bonds in the first place. Now he is going to probably get 40 million in a settlement.

The union has way to much power in protecting the dirty players.

22. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

What makes you think so? Just because some lawyer makes a statement on behalf his client? That's absolutely meaningless.

23. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

From what I understand someone found a letter saying that the teams were talking about not signing Bonds. MLB is now trying to get the union to hold off on the grievance.

24. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

A letter from whom? To whom? The point is, they have to be in possession of strong evidence of collusion, or they've got nothing bankable. You asked the right question: Who would have wanted him?

25. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

No team wanted him but the fear is that the clubs talking about not signing him might be enough to scare Selig into a settlement.