MLB on ATV: Watchable?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Wildgift, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Wildgift macrumors 6502

Last year, I bought the MLB package and, for the Boston Red Sox, watching in California, the picture quality was unwatchable on an ATV 3. Constant pixillation, buffering, etc. It is not my internet: I have a very robust 70/mb+ connection, and every other streaming service I have works perfectly, with no waiting and no pixillation, such as Netflix, Hulu, etc.

Could folks please weigh in with their thoughts and experiences before I plunk down 129.00? Sure, the radio is nice, but I could get that for a fraction of the price, and given last season's quality, I'm reluctant to commit. My alternative is to pay about 167.00 for Directv's package, which would include the MLB app.

Thanks for any input!

2. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

Very watchable....last year I probably watched 100+ games on my Apple TV and my download speed is no where close to yours.

3. inBrentwood macrumors newbie

MLB on ATV in Canada

Three seasons now using MLB on AppleTV from Vancouver Island, BC. No problems on my 25/mb connection. Have also used same MLB app and AppleTV in Palm Springs vacation property. Had some buffering and pixellation there, probably because of downstream ISPs.

4. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

This is the way to go. Get both. MLB.TV is good on my ATV. No pixillation, but still, not as good as Directv. I like having both so I can watch games on my laptop and iPhone as well.

5. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

It's been working great for me. No issues with a 25 MB connection.

6. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Consider waiting until father's day to sign up if you want to save some money. They usually have a pretty good discount for that holiday. I think last season it was $50 for mlb.tv premium for father's day. Granted you lose about one third of the season this way, but it's the least exciting third.

7. Wildgift thread starter macrumors 6502

I think that's the plan. Did it last year. Horrible pq though...

8. El Jefe macrumors member

I always find that it's a little buggy the first week of every season, but it always works out fine. Best $120 I spend every year.

9. Billy Boo Bob macrumors 6502

Billy Boo Bob

Haven't used my ATV2 much yet this season, but it looks great on my Mac and iPad.

10. DaveNinja macrumors 6502

DaveNinja

I found mlb.tv to be more stable on the PS3 than on my ATV2

11. mlseiber1976 macrumors newbie

It does it a little on mine but no where near as much as last year. It maybe buffers about once or twice a game that I watch but also only lasts for a few seconds. I get the pixilation as well but it goes back to normal really fast. Last year, it would sometimes last for five or ten minutes to where I would have to exit my game and reload it. So to me, it is better than last year. And my connection speed is 20 mps

12. alent1234 macrumors 603

i think the quality depends on the distance you are from the game. i stream my games via the time warner cable app but i've noticed that the away mets games and most away games look worse than the home games

MLB uses Level 3 for their tier 1 provider so if you're watching a Red Sox game in Cali, it has to travel across the USA and multiple routers which may slow it down or kill some of the quality