MLB.tv Scam -- Absolutely No Difference between 400K and 700K??

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MBHockey, Aug 1, 2007.

1. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Hey all. I purchased MLB.tv the other day to watch my home team now that I moved away. I bought the Premium version, not for Mosaic but for the higher quality game feeds (700K) vs. the package below premium that only gives you 400k.

However, I see absolutely NO difference whatsoever between the two qualities. I am attaching pictures for proof. Am i crazy? Or do those look exactly the same?

I think the MLB is trying to pull a scam here. Also, is there any way to know the data rate you are actually getting? Other than knowing which link you clicked on, of course. Does the feed say it anywhere?

Pics:

Game 1

400K version
    [​IMG]

700K version
    [​IMG]

Game 2

400K version
    [​IMG]

700K version
    [​IMG]

What do you guys think? Could it be due to the Flip4Mac plugin? Might this look better on a PC?

2. lancestraz macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

You can open Activity Monitor to see how fast you are receiving data over your network connection.

Attached Files:

3. Redline13 macrumors 6502

I have Mosaic also and I can see a difference between the 400k and 700k feed. It's not a night and day change but it's there. Try going in to full screen mode in the two different feeds and I bet you will be able to tell the difference.

4. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

is it just me, or in the 1st 2 games does the 400k look BETTER than the 700k???

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Honestly they both look like crap but the 400 looks slightly better. If you want Yankee games your best bet is DirecTV.

7. MBHockey thread starter macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Thanks for the tip. When the "700k" one was going, i was downloading around 150 KB/sec. With the "400k" one, slightly less than 100 KB/sec.

Something is off here...

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

9. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

The 700k version clearly has less artifacting. Look at the grass near the bottom of the screen for the most obvious effect...quite a bit smoother and less blocky.

The data rate of video does not directly translate to KB/s download speeds. There is no scam here that I can see. Overall, though, not enough of a difference to really bother with.

--Eric

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I wonder why it still asks you to upgrade on the 700K version, with the advert at the bottom...

11. MBHockey thread starter macrumors 68040

MBHockey

20 mbit down/5 mbit up -- FiOS

Me too...I find that so annoying.

12. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

NNNOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! i hate telstra (pretty much our countires ISP controller).. our area can only get max of 8mb, which is what i have.. damn them. costs so much aswell.

13. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I can't really contribute much, but I think MLB tv is terrible. No way would I pay for that. I did purchase an entire season of audio though for 14.99, I think that has been worth it. I feel your pain though, I would be angry as well.

14. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i may be willing to shell out the dough for mlb.tv next season (mostly because i would rather watch my teams anywhere on my computer instead of being stuck homebond, plus it's cheaper), but i'm starting to think that the quality of the tv has to improve.

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

maybe the MLB needs to take the steroids away from Barry and use them to beef up their online services :D

16. spencers macrumors 68020

spencers

High def baseball looks incredible....

17. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i don't have a high def tv and don't intend to until i'm dragged into one. i'm looking at standard tv quality, maybe slightly less, but it has to improve from where it is now. the quality looks like it's from 5 years ago. i also think there should be a spoiler free link from the games to the tv (i know i want that sometimes), as well as a dvr like function, where you can start your game from the beginning and catch up.