MM Sync thrashes and eats my disk space

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by dshlapak, May 5, 2011.

1. dshlapak macrumors newbie

Hello. I sync a Macbook Air, an intel iMac, an iPhone 4G and an iPad 2 via MobileMe. Lately, the laptop has started behaving badly. When it tries to sync, the little arrows keep spinning around and around and disk space begins to disappear. As a test, yesterday afternoon I restarted the machine, made sure no other apps were running, and started a sync. Ninety minutes later, it's still thrashing and ~15GB of available disk space have vanished. From past experience I know that if I let the sync keep running it will eventually eat up all of my disk space and I'll have to reboot because there's not enough swap space left for the VM.

I've first noted this problem in the last couple of months. I had our IT support (the MBA is owned by my employer) do a clean reinstall of the latest OS, but that doesn't seem to have helped. The laptop is FileVaulted (company policy), but is had been for a couple of years before this problem revealed itself.

Thoughts/advice/anything? Thanks in advance.

2. marc11 macrumors 68000

It sounds to me like you have your idisk set to keep a local copy of any files on MM available while off line and you are backing up a large amount of data. Check your idisk MM settings and your back up settings.