MMA demonstrates superiority over (traditional) Kung Fu

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Solomani, Mar 24, 2018.

1. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Traditions were meant to be broken. And dismantled. And destroyed. And after watching this video, I'm just thinking that the traditional Asian martial arts are going to be eclipsed eventually by MMA, worldwide. Why even bother paying for your kid's judo or taekwando classes when an MMA-trained opponent can beat them up easily?

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/3/...l-martial-arts-style-viral-controversial-news

2. Marshall73 macrumors 65816

Marshall73

If you think it’s about teaching your kid to beat someone up then you are missing the point of teaching them martial arts.

3. rpe33 macrumors regular

Bruce Lee proved this 50 years ago with Jeet Kune Do.

4. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

For those who are going to watch the video, there is a lot of fluff in the beginning, skip to about the 8:30 mark for the fight.

This has been proven before. If you watch some of the older MMA fights that took place in Japan, they guys who came out in the traditional garb and tried a pure martial arts on those who were proficient in mixed martial arts beat them pretty much ever time. This is nothing new.

Keep in mind MMA does stand for Mixed Martial Arts, meaning you learn a variety of disciplines, such as boxing, wrestling, grappling, and most also learn a martial art. I wouldn't be surprised if those who participate in the sport of MMA started out in wrestling, judo, or some other flavor of martial arts.

5. vkd macrumors 6502a

vkd

so-called Wing Chun master named Ding Hao seems more so-called than anything else LOL

6. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

For confidence and self defense start your kids in wrestling and judo at a young age. Treat the martial arts like TKD as a sport. As a genuine defense it’s marginal at best. Just my biased opinion.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 31, 2018 ---
    I just saw this and completely agree.

7. visegripmikey macrumors newbie

1. Neither appear to be particularly talented.
    2. No ring? This is not a proper, organized fight.
    3. Weight of each fighter matters, and appears not evenly matched.
    4. In MMA, Brazillian Jiu-jitsu looks to be the most effective.
    5. One can find a whole bucket full of so-called "vs" fights on YT. I don't think any of them are any good. The most famous recent one is of MacGregor vs Mayweather, but MacGregor was limited to boxing only. It was an easy win for Mayweather as a result.
    6. Meh.