Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tarek

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2009
Cairo
Was wondering if we have any MMA fans around here?

I grew up watching the WWE and I still do sometimes but not regularly like back then, but I discovered MMA back in like 2008 and I have been a huge fan ever since. I don't think I missed a single UFC event ever since then, and I also started watching Bellator a year ago.

My all-time favorite fighter would have to be Anderson Silva because his fights are always entertaining and exciting and I truly respect him as a fighter. Despite the PED allegations, I still think he's a respectable martial artist.

I'm actually currently streaming UFC Fight Night 121 and enjoying it.

So who's your favorite fighter and why?

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I'm a casual fan who got into the sport years ago. I think what drew my interest was watching the first season of TUF. That exposed me to the sport in a way that nothing else prior had done. Way back when I rented the original UFC events on DVD and watched Gracie take down all manner of fighters before there were really official rules and weight divisions. That was a fun spectacle kind of thing, but I didn't really appreciate the sport until watching all of the training and instruction that you were able to see watching TUF. Sure the side drama stuff at the house is pretty ridiculous, but I get the whole "reality show" aspect of it.

After that I would go watch the fights at Buffalo Wild Wings or occasionally a friend would buy the PPV and invite over a bunch of folks to watch it. Today, I don't really keep up with it, but will still watch TUF when I can. There are lots of fighters I appreciate, but one that I always enjoyed watching was Randy Couture. Like you, I also like Anderson Silva because he was such a showman.

I think the appeal for me is the strategy of it all. Watching match ups and seeing how fighters with different skill sets try to game plan for each other is fascinating. Look, everyone at that level is seriously dangerous when compared to the average person so I give them props for the courage it takes to get in the octagon and the commitment it takes to train.

Reactions: Tarek

Tarek

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2009
Cairo
@mscriv Would you happen to be watching tonight's PPV? The prelims have been nothing short of outstanding so far; I can hardly wait for the next fights, it's only going to get better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.