Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dishwab

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
has there been an MMS app created yet? I've tried the work around (emailing to xxxxxxxxxx@mms.att.com etc) but it hasn't worked for me.

If not, are there any plans for one to be developed?

italiano40

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2007
NY
it would be very hard to create an app like that two reasons, one when you hit the home screen the app exits out, unlike the sms app which runs in the background, another reason the SDK doesn't let you do anything with SMS in fear the program would run up the bill, that is why you have to wait until iphone 3.0 software

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
Apple don't want MMS on the iPhone judging by their behaviour. It wouldn't be tough to do so I'm sure they'd have done it by now if they wanted to. And, as they check everything going to the app store, we probably won't see it there either.

I think there was a MMS app you could put on JB'd iPhones however.

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
Been asked many times before. A search wouldn't hurt ;)
Apple currently doesn't appear interested in supporting MMS. Im not sure 3rd party developers are allowed to make an MMS app either, or I expect they would be on the app store already by now.
For jailbroken phones however, there is Swirly MMS that you could try. However, not all phone carriers will enable the MMS service, so even with Swirly MMS, you may not have much luck still.

The best thing to do in my opinion, is to let Apple know that you want MMS. It will only take a minute or two of your time.
http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

dishwab

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
Been asked many times before. A search wouldn't hurt ;)
Apple currently doesn't appear interested in supporting MMS. Im not sure 3rd party developers are allowed to make an MMS app either, or I expect they would be on the app store already by now.
For jailbroken phones however, there is Swirly MMS that you could try. However, not all phone carriers will enable the MMS service, so even with Swirly MMS, you may not have much luck still.

The best thing to do in my opinion, is to let Apple know that you want MMS. It will only take a minute or two of your time.
http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

Thanks, I saw a few topics about it but mostly just asking if it was possible as is without an app. It just seems like such an easy thing to do, considering almost every other phone on the market has this capability. Especially with the price we pay for unlimited texting/date, it's very disapointing.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
There was a mms app for jailbroken phones but at&t killed it. I'm not sure about other networks. Devs can make it but I don't see at&t allowing it to work.

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
There was a mms app for jailbroken phones but at&t killed it. I'm not sure about other networks. Devs can make it but I don't see at&t allowing it to work.

You'd think the networks would want us to use MMS (pay) over email (free)

Simer03

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2008
there was Swirly MMS on the installer, where u needed to pay after a 14 day trial, I think it was 8 dollars, but it worked amazingly....hopefully Swirly makes it possible for 2.0!!!

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
You'd think the networks would want us to use MMS (pay) over email (free)

That's what I would think since MMS isn't covered by a data or texting plan.

there was Swirly MMS on the installer, where u needed to pay after a 14 day trial, I think it was 8 dollars, but it worked amazingly....hopefully Swirly makes it possible for 2.0!!!

You can't use that with at&t.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.