MMS coming to iPhone article

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Metsfan7450, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Metsfan7450 macrumors regular

Metsfan7450

2. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

I would guess it'll only work on that network but it's a start.
    If Apple let them develop it they may let others.

3. daisuke07 macrumors regular

Apple not implementing MMS is giving everyone a headache. Itd be funny if they released it before Tell

4. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Surely MMS is possible via the SDK using web views, etc. It would need the push notification system that Apple is promising to be effective though.

It should be possible to do something in this way - it wouldn't strictly be MMS, because it would be using the data network (and therefore be free for users!), with the actual MMS message sending happening from a remote server.

But then Apple could just do an MMS app just like every other phone :rolleyes:

5. clcnyc macrumors regular

clcnyc

I know it's been said a trillion times, but the fact that we don't have MMS is absurd. There shouldn't be so many steps to take to get it. The cheapest of phones have this built in. grrrrrrrrrrr:mad:

6. MadMac84 macrumors member

I don't think that they would need the push notification. If it is the mobile phone companies making the app then they could use their existing sms connection to supply the notification. It would work like this:

1. Someone sends you a MMS
    2. You get the usual message from AT&T saying go view the MMS at the website with login and password. However, another option will be noted saying "or use AT&T's MMS for iPhone App on the AppStore"
    3. You get the app if you haven't already
    4. You log in using some sort of verification that it is your phone making the request (this login info could be entered once and configured to be saved; there must be some unique code to your phone that they could use)
    5. The app accesses AT&T's servers and grabs the MMS for you to see

There would only be one more step in the process to recieve your message than a normal phone, and they could use their existing SMS notification to notify you of the new MMS. I think that this would work well!

7. Ademius macrumors regular

If you really think it's going to be free sending MMSes through this you obviously don't know Telia. It's the most greedy company in north europe..
    Besides, what incitament would they have developing it if they wouldn't gain profit out of it?

New findings suggests that it maybe isn't Telia developing it though:
    http://www.engadget.com/2008/11/20/mobispines-iphone-mms-application-for-the-entire-universe/

8. RedHerringHack macrumors newbie

It annoyed me so much that they are allowing this, that I called AT&T and canceled my own SMS $5.00/month plan.

9. brinycbri macrumors 6502a

see, really don't understand this. Look apple, if you are going to include MMS later, say so. If not, say that. Why does it have to be such a secret?