MMS - Has Apple Officially Addressed Plans?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Heinekev, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Heinekev macrumors member

I'm curious - has Apple acknowledged the lack of MMS as a problem and said they plan to address it? I recently switched from a Blackberry to the iPhone (1.1.2) and MMS was used pretty heavily on my last phone. I didn't know the iPhone didn't support it out of the box!

I'm happy with the phone and won't be switching back, but I'd like to know if Apple intends on adding MMS support in the future or if it's something that can be addressed through software once they release the SDK.

Has Apple said anything publicly about their plans regarding MMS?

Thanks

2. Island Dog macrumors 6502a

Island Dog

3. walnuts macrumors 6502

I don't think so either. I think some people, and perhaps apple as well, feel that it is outdated technology. I don't remember where, but there was a thread with a big discussion on this. Essentially, MMS was described as an interim between text messages and full e-mail. If you think about it, the only reason anyone would use MMS over e-mail is because the receiver has older technology. MMS is actually limiting- the pics taken on the iphone would have to lose quality to be sent.

4. Heinekev thread starter macrumors member

Right. I understand that Apple is a big proponent of moving standards forward. The people I MMS have older phones or weak email support (blackberry curve will not render images in mail, for example).

Makes sense when you put it in that light. Thanks

5. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

MMS is still in widespread use in the UK. Email on mobile devices simply doesn't get use a lot, probably due to the fact there hasn't been a decent email client on a mobile device until the iPhone came along. Having said that MMS is a feature the iPhone really needs to keep everyone happy.

6. iStefmac macrumors regular

Its useless 1998 technology and probably will not make its way to the iPhone.

It shouldn't, it doesnt belong as an "added feature" to a device already capable of better things.

7. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

They probubly will but it seems like the whole SMS system is still in dev as many programs on the iPhone seam to be just stable releases of incomplete products examples like.

No Flash Lite

No downloading immages or anything from websites.

Lack of support for none embeded quicktime media.

I think they are just trying to wait until the software is in a more final and ready stage.

8. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Or because the receiver has no email, like my mother.

Or because people know (or can 411) your phone number, but not your email address.

Or because you don't want people to know any of your email addresses :)

If Jobs had said publicly, "We hate MMS", that's one thing. But I think it's funny that just because Apple didn't have time to do something, everyone comes up with amazing reasons why.

Jeez, it took a whole year after its first announcement, before they managed to add the incredibly simple multiple text recipient code. They're not exactly fast coders.

9. brvheart macrumors 6502

I understand both sides here, but the fact is not everyone has email as it is usually a extra cost per month. MMS is a per item charge or a package, I say for a company that holds it media technologies on high regaurd, give the phone user a choice and them decide which they want to use...MMS or email.

10. SheriffParker macrumors 6502a

SheriffParker

11. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

I've been really surprised and somewhat bemused at the amount of posts in these forums regarding the lack of MMS.

Especially considering you can email photos. Ok not everyone can pick up email on their phone, but I bet they have an email address and will most likely check their email on a daily basis.

The same goes with video recording.

Maybe, just maybe, you've all chosen the wrong phone?

12. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

i dont know 1 person that uses it and in the uk, waste of money and crap quality.

13. ~Phi macrumors regular

Does anyone know if MMS works when the iphone sim is inserted into another AT&T MMS capable phone?

14. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Maybe this is a generational/age thing. I know it's heavily used in the UK but I, and all my mates, don't use it. I'm in my 30s, maybe younger people use it more.

I'd like to see video recording support more, along with better bluetooth support.

15. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

In theory, it should.

Almost all other AT&T smartphones include MMS.

16. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Not just "not everyone" can pick up email - there are 200 people in my phone address book, and all of *1* of them can get email on their phone. Everyone else can get MMS. A good 30 don't even have an email address - my Mum couldn't even turn a computer on.

MMS is an essential feature.

Phazer

17. Yossarian macrumors member

MMS is a second tier requirement, first they can fix the SMS app!

18. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

In case you are unaware, MMS can be aproximated by sending an e-mail with your picture to the phonenumber@carrier.com. Each carrier has a different domain, and blackberries have a special address. Look it up!

TEG

19. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Prove it. Honestly. I've sent a few e-mails this way to AT&T customers and the text comes over but not the pic.

20. iLeoMarc macrumors regular

Try...Phone#@MMS.ATT.COM

21. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Ok, I need to chime in here. I keep reading how people can't understand why people are complaining about the lack of MMS because "you can just email your photos". Here's the thing: I (and I assume many other iPhone users) cannot dictate to ALL of their contacts that they must email photos. It is not the lack of outgoing MMS that is an issue it is the lack of incoming MMS. I have no control when someone sends me an MMS. It is a little embarrassing to have to call or text the sender and ask that they email the photo from their phone. Then have to explain the protocol (phonenumber@carrier.com). Also, I've found that emailing to a phone can be very VERY slow. On a number of occasions I have sent photos via email to a cell phone and the recipient did not get the message until THE NEXT DAY.

iPhone needs MMS. It will only make those who miss it happy and it will not affect those who do not think it is necessary or is outdated technology.

22. iStefmac macrumors regular

Considering the amount of effort required to develop each feature for the iPhone, I wouldn't want 6 months of effort wasted on such a useless, out of date, piece of crap feature.

ie: Multiple SMS as HIGHLIGHT FEATURE OF MACWORLD 08..............

Are ya serious?

23. inc77 macrumors newbie

The main thing I hate by not having MMS support is when receiving MMS. I soooooooooooooooo hate viewmymessage.com. Not only does it make you have to enter some convoluted msg id, you have to remember the password and wait for the slow freakin site to load...

24. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

In most cases, you can just SMS and MMS to e-mail addresses, just change the phone number in the to field to an e-mail address. I have many friends on Verizon and Sprint and that is how the MMS me.

TEG

25. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

So you regularly MMS all 200 of your contacts MMS messages, or just the 30 that don't have email addresses?

It's not my place to deny you MMS though –*but seeing it is such an important part of your every day life, I find it strange you knowingly chose a phone without that feature?