MMS messenger software or hardware issue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Walter P Henson, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Walter P Henson macrumors member

Hey, I was just wondering to myself today if MMS can be fixed with a software update from apple or if it has something to do with the hardware, basically will there be a fix for it during this Iphone's lifetime?

2. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

I bet you will see this when the App Store opens. Apple probably never developed this knowing that there are a lot of eager developers wanting to do this. Why spend the resource to build something when someone else will do it for free.

3. Eminemdrdre00 macrumors 6502a

Eminemdrdre00

4. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

MMS can't be done by third-party developers, they don't have access to the cell network nor any way to have a program running in the background waiting for MMS's to come in. Now, Apple themselves could sell their own MMS app on the App Store...

5. Igantius macrumors 65816

Users report that this one has been working a while - http://www.swirlyspace.com/iphone/apps/mms/

6. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

Well yeah, that's for jailbroken phones. It runs in the background, something Apple has forbidden SDK users to do, and access the cell network, something Apple hasn't given SDK users access to.

7. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Exactly. Lots of things can be done on jailbroken phones that the SDK doesn't allow. We won't see an MMS app unless Apple has coded one themselves using greater levels of access than they're giving anyone else.

To be fair, I wouldn't mind at all if it were just an Apple coded app that was optional for those that want it, but I really think they've have mentioned it was coming if it was.

Phazer

8. Hecklerdanny macrumors 6502

Hecklerdanny

I agree that Apple could and might sell their own through the App store...But wow, I can already see the complaints..."Apple is charging us for something that should have been free all along!"...It'd be ugly...I'd probably still buy it though. I want MMS bad. I usually don't complain but it is pretty lame that the iPhone can't/doesn't/won't do MMS. My grandma's pink phone can do it. I think the "Worlds Most Advanced Mobile Phone" should do it. Right now it's "Mostly the Worlds Most Advanced Mobile Phone that does a lot of great stuff that other phones don't, but doesn't a few basic things that every other phone in the world does."

9. Walter P Henson thread starter macrumors member

Yea although I do feel it should have been included, as long as it was like a one time purchase of an app from apple for like 9.99 I would suck it up and pay for it. I really don't understand why they haven't included it though, was it because they couldn't find a way to not have it running in the background or what?

10. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

i know that apps cant run in the background but apple is providing push notification service coming in september, so couldnt mms work off that concept of a background notification through apple