MMS not working on 3GS with iphone 2g plan

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by phantoms, Sep 28, 2009.

1. phantoms macrumors member

Jul 23, 2009
    Hey guys i have the new carrier 5.5 and also am on 3.1 and my mms does not work. my buddies does with his 3g on a 3g plan though. i have the icon and i can add the picture in but it fails at the very end around 95%. I am on the iphone 2G plan still (a fight to keep it) for unlimited data and 1500 text for 30 bucks. i also restarted many times. tried the turn wifi off and 3g off still no luck.

even when mms are sent to me i still get that message saying bla bla has sent you a multimedia text and i have to goto the website to see it.

is this not working because i am on an old plan or for some other reason? i know iphone 2g users dont get mms but its just the plan??

2. Macjames macrumors 6502a

Dec 12, 2007
    Yorkshire, England
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C144 Safari/528.16)

O2 rep told me I needed a new sim when I went from 2g to 3g so I would imagine the same applies for you. Unfortunatly you would not be able to keep your 2g plan
  3. Warbrain macrumors 603

Jun 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    They do this because they claim you need a new SIM for the different network but it's a load of crock.
  4. phantoms thread starter macrumors member

Jul 23, 2009
    My sim is new got it with the 3gs I got the 2g plan by giving AT&T A imei from a 2g phone
  5. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

Dec 28, 2007
    PHX, AZ.
    And there lies your problem.
    2G iPhones do not qualify for MMS service, so AT&T blocks MMS service for these plans.
  6. phantoms thread starter macrumors member

Jul 23, 2009
    I mentioned that in the first post, I thought it was hardware that was why it didn't work? And how come they don't block 3g also then?
  7. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

Mar 18, 2008
    Bracknell UK
    Because Apple chose to enable MMS for the 3G and disable it on the 2G. That's all.