Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WhySoSerious

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Dallas, TX
The apple rep AND att rep I spoke with this morning both told me that MMS would be available anywhere between now and the end of July. As they roll it out, some will have usage of this feature while others won't, but everyone will be set up by end of July.

peace

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
I guess I could wait a month...it sucks :(

I don't care. It would be nice to have just to have it, but when I had Verizon I think I used a few times. I'm so use to email the pics now I think I wouldn't use it as much.
Kind of like landscape mode for texting. I got so use to it and now that I have landscape mode for it, I can't use it as easily :D

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2008
Is this how I want it? By selecting the messaging unlimited $20, it's not adding an additional cost to my bill is it cause I see the iPhone data $30 still up there..

phonea.jpg

waterskier2007

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2007
Novi, MI
how did you get that ability on the att website, the only options for me are iphone messaging plans. do i have to delete my iphone plan then select one of those. or do i have to do one of those sim switching things to get those options

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Sep 12, 2006
California
so how will we know that MMS has been activated on ours phones without actually trying to send an MMS? Will it just randomly appear as an option in the settings to turn on or something? Or will we get some sort of text notification or anything like that.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Is this how I want it? By selecting the messaging unlimited $20, it's not adding an additional cost to my bill is it cause I see the iPhone data $30 still up there..

phonea.jpg

I did this and it did NOT work. They know what you're trying to do. YMMV.

And reps don't know anything. It'll happen when we get a carrier update.

WhySoSerious

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Dallas, TX
so how will we know that MMS has been activated on ours phones without actually trying to send an MMS? Will it just randomly appear as an option in the settings to turn on or something? Or will we get some sort of text notification or anything like that.

i'm pretty sure you'll get a free text msg from ATT and/or Apple saying MMS is now activated....and you should also have a camera icon on your SMS screen to use MMS.

JGruber

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2006
More than likely you will get a notification that a Carrier Update is available when you plug your phone into iTunes. Once you download it, you will have MMS.

Neomoon

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2007
To clear up a few things

phonea.jpg

Yup that's what you want, as an added measure I went ahead and registered my phone number on the https://mymedianet.wireless.att.com/ website while my SIM was in the other phone.

Before when I had the iPhone picture on my AT&T account it would give me an error when I would go to the medianet website. However once I manually switched my phone on the website and send out a couple of txts and made a couple of calls with the other phone I was able to enter my number and received a txt msg code that I typed into the media net website to activate media net on my account.

Like I said in the post that I linked, I did both things (registered phone # with Media Net & switched to a non iPhone messaging plan) and I was able to send receive MMS.

I did not receive a any txt message saying that MMS was enabled on my account, it just started working.

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2008
FINALLY it WORKS!!!

I am now getting MMS. I did the sim swap and I have family plan. I did not make any "cell data network" setting changes. My friends are sending me pics and I am getting.

This is on my 3GS

scottuf

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2009
NPB, FL
Yup that's what you want, as an added measure I went ahead and registered my phone number on the https://mymedianet.wireless.att.com/ website while my SIM was in the other phone.

Before when I had the iPhone picture on my AT&T account it would give me an error when I would go to the medianet website. However once I manually switched my phone on the website and send out a couple of txts and made a couple of calls with the other phone I was able to enter my number and received a txt msg code that I typed into the media net website to activate media net on my account.

Like I said in the post that I linked, I did both things (registered phone # with Media Net & switched to a non iPhone messaging plan) and I was able to send receive MMS.

I did not receive a any txt message saying that MMS was enabled on my account, it just started working.

did all this and now my mms works like a charm. all day now. only problem is tether is gone from the iphone. ugh. i'd rather have mms tho.

BrownManUPS

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2007
Denver
Eh, I guess I don't really care about either tethering or MMS. After playing with tethering, it certainly is really cool when it works but wi-fi is most anywhere for free as I've discovered.

Daiden

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2007
Chicago, IL
I have a normal messaging plan, and medianet enabled on my phone when I had my SIM card in another AT&T phone... but still nothing. I have to have the settings filled out under the MMS fields in Cellular Data Network or else I don't have the option to send MMS at all.

I thought it was going to work, but it would just sit at 98% complete for 2-5 minutes before I manually deleted the message. Then I tried resetting my network options and now it just errors out again. Frustrating!

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
I talked to the ATT rep at BB today.
MMS - ATT wants it sooner than later and mentioned July
ATT in Massachusetts there is a strong puch to finish up the 3G network and bring up the 7.2 service by years end. ATT is having an issue with the antenna installation due to apparent health hazard which seems to coincide with the vote we had last year for additional antennas on the cell tower near my house.
Which that and a few grains of salt I cant wait for it all

SephirothXR

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2008
I know man, I need my MMS now!!!

But honestly I've only had one instance in the past year with my iPhone where someone wanted to send me a video and I didn't have MMS, but email works just fine for me honestly, you get so much better quality and the file is stored in your sent email if you need to access it ever again.

shaotse

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2009
Just could use it for stupid stuff like when I wanted to text my wife a picture of some Nikes I was thinking about getting, and had to fire up Beejive, send the picture, then the request for her opinion/financial approval, yada yada - I mean what's the holdup on something so simple/widespread?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.