MMS on iPhone/iPhone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ChrisWilder07, Jun 29, 2008.

1. ChrisWilder07 macrumors regular

do you guys think apple will do the same thing with mms like they did eith youtube last year? {hide the fact that its there until launch day}

2. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

nah, i think what they mentioned, is what we'll get unfortunately. though, they usually have a "refresh" around Xmas...so maybe on that version!

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

^^^I agree, maybe even MWSF '09 for MMS, or anything else in high demand or still in developmental stages...

4. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

I dont think mms is an overlooked feature, Its missing as its deemed a 'dead technology' by apple (and anyone else that uses email), so i wouldnt expect it in os 2.0 or any other as it will just become even more irrelevant, also the price plans are out and no carriers have included mms.

5. CaptainHaddock macrumors 6502

I need a messaging service that pushes messages to me, unlike email accounts which must be checked with an active client. No MMS pretty much means no iPhone.

6. bit_bucket macrumors regular

bit_bucket

Not trying to be a smart alleck or anything but could I suggest hosted exchange, exchange at your company or what I am going to be using, mobile me. All of these are push technologies and share the robustness of email. They are all supported on iPhone software 2.0. IMHO mms is dead and irrelevant. It was kind of a way for carriers with email handicaped phones to send rich text messages. Not even all carriers do mms in a consistent and interoperable way. Email is universal and the iphone does it well. Even better with the upcomming push tech. I would be annoyed if apple suddenly added mms support. I guess if they were to do that they should bring back all the old legacy crap we don't need like ir or even rs232 connections between the iPhone and the computer.

7. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

Why is apple deeming anything dead? Thats a little arrogant for a company that just got into the cell phone business not but a year ago.

Put every feature in you can, there is always someone that will use it. MMS is widely used...

8. Scooterman1 macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

Yahoo Mail pushes email to iPhones.

9. Bridge51 macrumors newbie

Truth. A leprechan told me. Works great for me so far.

10. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Apple don't see MMS as a dead technology, but as with any other technology they don't include in their other product lines, they see it as 'dying' technology.

Ok - yes - it is widely used currently, and it would be nice to have, but with the capabilities of e-mail, and the integration of e-mail throughout iPhone OS, it is a near perfect substitution. Who knows, they may be right, MMS may become redundant. If the iPhone is to set the trend (seeing Apple as the trend setter - and looking back at the iPod and the portable music market), the phones of the future will gain big screens, touch technology, and better integration of software (which is going to be huge). With this will come the unprecedented easy of use of user interfaces. E-mail or technology like it, I think, will become standard for picture messaging. The iPhone's e-mail is the easiest and most visual than on any other device, people will copy and imitate it.

MMS would be nice, but in reality, there are better emerging mobile technologies which would substitute the need for MMS, and I think Apple have noticed this early. MMS currently offers a way to send multi-media on the go. Often this multi-media is compressed, and therefore reduced in quality, rendering it pretty much useless - oh and guess what, you actually pay for this service, currently. E-mail is free, and compression of media is non-existent.

Lets wait and see.

R-Fly

11. guitarguy09 macrumors member

I completely agree. It's too bad that so many people (friends) still use this dead tech on their outdated phones. They all need to get the iphone and make the world a better place. ;)

12. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

That's all well and good, but the assumption there is that all phones do e-mail in a meaningful way, which is far from the truth. Even if all phones do start moving that way, there will still be a lot of people who won't have it for several years, so MMS will still have to be supported for quite a long time. What's the point in having a cumbersome solution now when the problem could be solved easily enough? I'm the only person I know who uses his phone for e-mail at all, it will take a long time to get others to change.

Plus phone carriers like MMS - it's a great source of revenue for them.

Edit: And how is e-mail the near perfect substitution? With my phone I can send my wife (who is in Spain at the moment) a pic of my daughter doing her thing, or an audio recording of her singing a new song. With an iPhone I just couldn't do that. Unless you can MMS to an email address, or send e-mail to a mobile phone number so it converts to MMS for receipt, it's not a substitute at all.

13. The Phazer macrumors 68030

MMS isn't a dying technology. Some people may think it should be, but the evidence is the opposite - the number of MMS sent in the UK is higher now than it was when the iPhone originally launched.

Certainly, all the evidence points towards MMS increasing in popularity for the remainder of the 3G iPhone's typical lifespan. And for that reason alone it should be there.

Phazer

14. The General macrumors 601

I just can't see it being that difficult for Apple to make it so we can send pics through the SMS app and have them show up in the bubbles just like sending pics through iChat. Or if it's a video, show the filename just like iChat and have the little blue arrow thing that brings up the Quicktime plugin to play the 3gp video.

15. GAS macrumors regular

I can't believe some of the ridiculous excuses and so called "solutions" to missing MMS.
    The way people are blindly defending Apple (clutching at straws) in their decision to omit this feature is rather pathetic. It annoys me that they pretend MMS is a dead technology and think that everybody should have be able to receive email on their phone and that email is currently a viable alternative to MMS for the wider mobile market.
    I think they fail to understand that not everyone has a phone that can receive or send email... or maybe they do but don't care because it "doesn't affect me", seems rather selfish and arrogant if you ask me.

TL;DR - There is no valid reason why Apple omitted MMS, it is still widely used by a lot of people. Even if you don't use it, doesn't mean other people don't.

16. jcostaman macrumors member

jcostaman

wouldnt it be nice to open the box on July 11 and see the MMS icon right there? Please Apple:rolleyes::apple:

17. The General macrumors 601

Actually I reckon that would be annoying. We have threaded iChat style text messages, I want MMS to be right there with the text messages just like direct connection chat in iChat.

Wouldn't it be nice...

18. know-it-all5 macrumors 6502

I dont care how dead the technology is... That's just not much of an excuse.

I also believe that apple need not force old crappy tech on the consumer. Thus, I have a prediction.

On July 11th we will see a shift from apple throwing stuff everything at you with updates, towards apple posting their own mini optional updates in the app store. You could call them add ons. I assume stuff like MMS will be included. We shall see what happens, but I can't help but think, some way we will eventually get what we want.

19. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

It's not. They can do it in the SMS application. All they have to do is put a plus button left of the textfield in the SMS application. Tap that, it pops up with the image picker. Select an image, it puts it as a simple "Picture" label in the textfield. Write your message, then tap send. Small thumbnail appears in the bubble. When they send you one, it also appears as a small thumbnail. Tap that, then you see the full image (pushViewController). Same for Videos.