MMS on original

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Linuss, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Linuss macrumors regular

So I remember reading some time ago that MMS would not be available on the original iPhone.

This still the case? Is it simply because they will not include the code in the original iPhone firmware?

Sorry if it's been answered-- did some searching in all the most recent 3.0 threads and couldn't see an answer.

2. TheMBC macrumors 6502

The reason is so that you buy a shiny new iPhone 3G S.

But for whatever "technical" reason, no, they're not allowing the original iPhone to do MMS.

3. Tubink macrumors regular

That is the case. The hardware is compatible, however Apple does not want to code the "driver" or whatever to support the old chip to work with MMS.

4. darngooddesign macrumors G3

5. Adisah macrumors regular

I think it's more of their philosophy more than anything. It wouldn't be a "seamless" experience on an EDGE phoned due the lower data speeds. Sending MMS messages would take quite sometime.

6. Menge macrumors 6502a

Menge

Things in 3.0 that the original iPhone can do but are disabled for Apple's own upgrade plan:
    - MMS
    - Tethering
    - A2DP

Things in 3.0 that neither the original iPhone nor the iPhone 3G can do but are also disabled for the same reason (likely):
    - Voice Control

I'm a bit outraged at this... If I still have a contract and the phone can do it, stop being a bunch of greedy little men and enable it!
    (I have a 16GB iPhone 2G)

7. Linuss thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the info guys, just double checking because it's been a while since I've checked.

I'm jailbroken, but don't feel like paying and using a 3rd party app for something that really should be free / in the phone.

8. darngooddesign macrumors G3

The original can't do A2DP because the Jailbreak community wasn't able to enable it, and you can bet that if it could be done they did it.

Regardless, just Jailbreak and install Swirly and PdaNet.

9. darngooddesign macrumors G3

The camera app is free but you can buy more robust camera applications from Apple. swirly gives you all these features so its like a betterMMS app in the app store.

Built in voice recorder for you to record any sound and MMS
    Save incoming MMS as your ringtone
    Customize MMS sound for sent mms, recieved mms, delivered mms, and error situations
    Reply to rcvd mms with sms, yeah save some $$
    Keep a check on when your friends have received your MMS.
    Attach signature to ourgoing MMS, including location using GPS
    You can open a received GPS location directly in Google Maps from SwirlyMMS2
    Save MMS as Drafts in Drafts folder
    20 diff languages

10. BullittMustang macrumors 6502a

That is definitely not true. It sends MMS's through edge using Swirly very fast.