MMS or Video Recording

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by stevoeddz, Aug 30, 2008.

1. stevoeddz macrumors member

Does the SDK limit developers from developing MMS or video recording apps?

2. DreamPod macrumors 65816

Pretty much. Can't run in the background or access the cell network, so no MMS. And the camera control is extremely limited, you can only tell it to take a picture, which is exactly the same as hitting the camera button yourself.

3. stevoeddz thread starter macrumors member

How about if the 2.1 September update allows apps to run in the background?

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

It won't. All that is supposed to do is allow Apple's Notification servers to push notifications (IM, etc) to you. Apple limits apps running to one because if multiple apps ran the battery life would be dismal.

Also, video on the iPhone would suck because the CMOS sensor just can't keep up. Put it in camera mode and move the iPhone to the left or right and watch how distorted/wavy the image gets.

5. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

Not true, 3rd party programs were able to produce quite good video actually. Although it did not process the video on the fly, as it was too processor intensive and could be done either immediately after or at a later time.

But from what I heard the quality was pretty damn good.

6. Daiden macrumors 6502a

Daiden

The video recorder for jailbroken phones is actually very good. It only captures at 15 FPS or something though, but the quality is very good. You're right, it does process and encode the clips afterward but a small price to pay in my opinion. I don't know why Apple hasn't create a video recorder for the iPhone yet.

7. komiothebeat macrumors 6502

komiothebeat

they have a program called Qik, it streams the audio and video to your account on Qik.com . i recomend checking that site out for an idea on the quality of videos the iphone is capable of :p

8. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

Because that is being saved for the "iPhone Video" which is scheduled to be released next July. It will also have MMS (and believe me, you will see neither of these functions until then). I work for Apple, but it's pretty obvious to most people these features are coming, there is just confusion about how, so I thought I would clear it up.

9. severe macrumors 6502a

:D

10. stevoeddz thread starter macrumors member

whether or not this is true, it would piss me off a lot to see apple release a new product with features the last product should have had just to get people to buy.

Do you guys thing mms or video recording will come to the iphone before the next iphone comes out.... or ever??

11. polar-blair macrumors regular

Yeah Im sure they will bring MMS and Video, Apple are not that stupid, maybe stupid enough to leave it out of the first one but people started complaining about 3G with the first iPhone and apple then released after saying it wasnt a good idea due to battery issues,

MMS is something I really want on my iphone.

12. The Phazer macrumors 68030

It certainly blocks MMS. You'd need access to the baseband in a way the SDK doesn't provide (and isn't likely too, it's far too deep in the network interface and AT&T et al would throw a fit if developers could access there. And they'd have a point, there's a potential for causing real havoc there with bad code).

Video I believe it's doable, but could be with relatively minor changes to the SDK. Of course, at that point Apple could just put it in themselves...

Phazer

13. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

If that is for jailbroken phones then it is completely different. Applications that use the SDK can not do the same things as apps for jailbroken phones.

14. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

I see what you did there.

It would also have :

- Front facing video camera
    - Mobile Photobooth
    - Wireless TV, such as a DVB-H chip
    - Back to my Mac video streaming
    - YouTube uploader built into the YouTube app
    - Built-in pico projector for movies

Take your video. Make your video. The new iPhone Video.

Also known as the iWish.

15. stevoeddz thread starter macrumors member

id buy 1

16. =Shadow= macrumors member

That's insane.
    "Sure, let's release a first generation of iPhone, then a few months later release another that is sooo much better, and just to extort more money out of people, we'll make another in another few months with features that should have been in the previous version! Yea!!!"

17. phannon666 macrumors regular

You must be new to Apple, that's how they roll.