MMS Package from AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by waterskier2007, Mar 18, 2009.

1. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

So before anyone starts verbally abusing me, I have not seen this topic in any other posts, and yes I did search, but trying to search a subject here is like finding a needle in a haystack.

I watched a 3.0 walkthrough on youtube, and the poster mentioned that MMS was not enabled with AT&T. So does this mean that once 3.0 comes out I will have to pay more to enable MMS. I am already on the unlimited Messaging plan.

thanks for any info

2. OriginalMasta macrumors member

The real question is when they enable MMS, they BEST NOT TRY TO CHARGE or give option to PAY for MMS. Absolutely stupid if they do because that's just pure greed from AT&T.

I'm sure it will work once the OTA profiles are working. 3.0 does support OTA profiles so when it's all ready to be provisioned, it will just work.

edit: I meant charge additional $ in addition to the already expensive $30 unlimited message plan.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

If you feel verbally abused by anyone around here report it. Honestly, sometimes I'm even sarcastic and borderline mean, but if you equate any such treatment to "verbal abuse" then there are serious issues.

On a side note, I have seen this topic discussed but possibly buried in the massive 3.0 threads. My understanding is MMS may not be included in your text plan. AT&T has always had a media net plan, but I have to admit if they charge for it they'll really ruffle some feathers. We're already paying $30 for the plan, which I believe is $20 more than media net, which includes MMS on every other stupid phone. No way AT&T would get away with charging for MMS on top of the $30 plan.

4. waterskier2007 thread starter macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

my view exactly, because i already pay a sh**load for unlimited messaging, and i do not want to have to pay more

5. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

if you go on AT&Ts website, under features, the 20 dollar unlimited text plan states it covers text, picture and video messages, its called messaging unlimited and AT&T would be stupid to discriminate against iphone owners by making then pay extra for what any phone can have at 20 a month. This would be the class action lawsuit that the most inept lawyer could nail.

6. OriginalMasta macrumors member

based on that AT&T messaging policy, if they do decide to charge, then we have a right to break the contract early without ETF! ;)

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

In 2-3 years with a $25 voucher to spend at AT&T. ;)
    That is exactly where I'd go.

8. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

I understand what your saying. But seriously don't apologize in advance about it. There are 4 or 5 members here that feel the need to act how you are describing, and Im sure we all know who they are. Don't let it get to you, post what you want!

As for your post, Im going to go with what other people are saying and vote that there will not be an additional charge above standard text messaging.

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

if you read the plan, you will see that your text plan includes picture messaging

10. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

So you're saying that AT&T should provide an additional, extra service free of charge? That makes no sense ... :confused:

11. Radam macrumors member

what he is saying is that if someone has a blackberry curve and they have a unlimited texting plan, they can send unlimited mms and sms messages, and if they charged iphone users more to send mms that would be extremely wrong.

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

every text plan they have has picture texting in the plan......think of it as denying the capability we have been paying for?

exactly

13. aok1975 macrumors 6502

If you want to pay extra for mms, im sure ATT will take that extra money, the rest of us however would rather not.

14. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

My daughter is on my plan (unlimted, family plan) and she can send pics to other phones w/o being charged extra, so why would this be different?

15. waterskier2007 thread starter macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

ok, for everyone who may have taken this the wrong way. when i used the term "verbally abused" it was just a joke, and a reference to the times when people ask a question and someone replies with "Go search it and stop reposting stupid questions" or something like that.

and thanks for all the answers

16. D3lta macrumors 6502a

But what about those who don't have unlimited texting? I'm currently just paying $5 for 200 texts... will MMS be added to that when 3.0 hits or will AT&T make me pay extra for MMS?

17. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

You wont have to pay extra but I am pretty sure an MMS would be like sending/receving 2 or 3 texts each if I am not mistaken.

18. dkh587 macrumors regular

I'm sorry but it's getting annoying seeing people freak out about this. The unlimited texting package for $20 with AT&T covers text, picture AND video messaging. The iPhone until summer, doesn't SUPPORT picture and video. It's not an optional service. It just isn't supported. If AT&T somehow charges, I will eat my words but I am 99% sure they will not try to charge.

19. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

That makes sense, and I definitely see your point. However, the ability to send MMS messages is new for iPhones. I wouldn't be surprised to see AT&T charge more for this new, additional service. It wouldn't seem fair to most people, but it's all about the $$$$ ... ;)

20. aok1975 macrumors 6502

They cant charge because the contract you signed includes "sms" in the messaging plan.

21. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

you mean mms right?

look at your contract, it includes mms so i wouldnt worry about it

22. andyforman macrumors newbie

Present iPhone "unlimited text plan" only applies to SMS?

I found this while I was looking around AT&T's site for info on whether or not they'll charge for MMS...the attached screenshot leads me to believe they will.

Attached Files:

23. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

no they wont

this is what we have now on our iphones and what they still currently offer....notice how its includes picture/text/video messages in the total

Attached Files: