MMS Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by superstrikertwo, Jul 3, 2008.

1. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

Alright as we all know iPhone does not receive MMS messages my question is. What happens if someone does send you an MMS? I have friends that send me pictures all the time. Does the message bounce back or do I get a link to view it online or what?

Also for sending can't you just email to the persons cellphone email address. <number>@carrier.com/net/org

2. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Most carriers will send a text message containing a web address and a password to access it.

Of course, several carriers have the viewing site built in Flash so it doesn't work on the iPhone...

In the US? Yes. In most other countries? No.

Phazer

3. superstrikertwo thread starter macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

4. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

I live with it.. But to be honest, it's a pain in the arse because it's quite tedious. It's not even a feature I use much, but for the odd time someone sends me a pict, I wish I didnt have to go through all that every time. Still, at least I can see them I guess.
    Once in a while I like to send picts to folks phones too, but im pretty much completely screwed there :rolleyes: Email is all very well, but it is not a substitute for MMS.
    I wish Apple would pull their finger out and get MMS supported properly.

5. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Yah the lack of MMS is totally lame.

And what is up with at&t? They send an MMS with some cryptic user/pass thats impossible to remember. Why not just a link? And why not iphone formated etc?

It's been a year already, give me a break.

6. ryanxslabaugh macrumors member

Is it possible for someone to make a MMS application from the App Store?

7. The Phazer macrumors 68030

No. It requires access to the baseband in a way the SDK doesn't provide.

Phazer

8. ryanxslabaugh macrumors member

Okay because people have been saying that there gonna download an Application from the App store that allows MMS.

9. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Yeah, probably not. People are assuming that everything that can be done on a jailbroken phone can be done via the App Store.

Apple could make an App available from the store - they can give themselves more access and break their rules if they want - but the only suggestion that might do so is a leaked internal memo from AT&T that says the 3G phone supports MMS. And that might mean it's coming in a future firmware revision, or it might just be a copy and pasting cock up and it doesn't support it at all.

Phazer

10. ryanxslabaugh macrumors member

I could live without both but there both very handy.
    I have my fingers crossed for a firmware update.