MMS ready on June 18th!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mduncan06, Jun 11, 2009.

1. mduncan06 macrumors newbie

I called At&T..and the reps told me MMS will be available on June 18th.. can anyone else verify this?

2. D3lta macrumors 6502a

You should call again and ask a different person. See what they tell you.

3. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

If this were indeed true then Apple wouldn't have said during the keynote that MMS would be available to AT&T customers later this summer. They would have said it would be available at launch. Don't trust anything a CSR says, most of them know nothing.

4. jman240 macrumors 6502a

Yeah that sounds like the typical idiot rep just quoting the first date they see.

5. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

Right, probably just pulled a date out of his ass.

6. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

-unless- AT&T is working rapidly to save face after being knocked down at the keynote.

7. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

It'd be nice, but I'm not holding my breath. From the things I've read, the holdup in activating MMS is that AT&T has to manually edit each iPhone line to enable MMS on it. I don't really understand why that's so difficult, especially since all the account info is probably stored in a SQL database somewhere. A simple update query should do the trick if that's the case. Maybe they're using Excel spreadsheets to keep track of customers instead... :rolleyes:

8. sonicwind macrumors member

I can't wait to sit around and send around tiny, short, low res videos all day.

9. GreggM3 macrumors 6502

I get a different answer every time I call AT&T regardless of the question. They are hopelessly under trained or told to lie at will. I am not sure which?:mad: I love it when they say that it's impossible to send MMS from the iPhone when my buddy is doing it right in front of me.LOL I had my MMS working a bit in build 5 but it's hosed now.:mad:

10. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

Better be...after all this wait for MMS. Now have it on the device, but the network can't handle it.

11. rburly macrumors 6502a

rburly

I don't believe it. It'll be "late summer".

I called a CSR and had a pretty simple question that was turned into a debacle because she obviously didn't know anything she was talking about.

12. eezing macrumors 6502

eezing

Right, you would think....

13. natasha69 macrumors 6502

1) I tried to get ATT to remove the MMS block when I had the beta installed. I had the CSR, her supervisor, and some tech on the line and they said the block is at a very high level and they could not remove it.

2) If they have to remove it from everyone, I can't imagine a batch script taking that long to do the job. They just need to test it and implement it.

3) They do have to update their carrier settings file though and send it through iTunes so MMS is enabled on our 3.0 software again (current GM has no MMS option).

I'm hoping AAPL's keynote was a swift kick where ATT needed it. If ATT is listening, we'd also like:

A) the microcell sold to us at a fixed retail cost (like $29, the same cost as snow leopard).
    B) tethering - um, some of us are already using it. your marketing folks just need to figure out pricing, and your IT folks need to figure out how many people will sign up and adjust bandwidth.
    C) how about introducing the high speed line towers in a couple cities, just to demo future technology? heard of good PR? well, maybe not...

14. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

So when MMS is available "late summer" is there going to have to be an update to put the MMS option back into setting?

15. natasha69 macrumors 6502

Not an OS update. A carrier settings update like we saw earlier in the year (but through iTunes). Do some searches and you'll find out lots about carrier settings files. Some poeple are making their own.

16. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

If I was an optimistic person I would say that AT&T told apple to say late summer just in case they couldn't meet the release deadline.

17. sharpycl macrumors 6502

sharpycl

text forwarding, deleting, etc?

Here is another question bout something unrelated to the topic. Since we aren't gettting MMS the day 3.0 is released. Will we still be able to forward, delete, etc specific texts when 3.0 is released?

18. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Yes, I can do that now in 3.0 GM, and have been able to since the initial beta.

19. mduncan06 thread starter macrumors newbie

yea...i have 3.0 GM now...and i can forward, delete specific texts..etc...

20. jman240 macrumors 6502a

Yes.

You can also copy them and paste them anywhere you like.

It's really quite fun since it's new right now.

21. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

That sounds good! I hope its true though. You never know, they dont know when seasons even start (apple saying 3.0 will be out in the summer which starts June 21st) so it could be whenever!:rolleyes:

22. sharpycl macrumors 6502

sharpycl

awesome guys. thanx for the responses. :D

23. NinjaHERO macrumors 6502a

NinjaHERO

LOL. Hey don't knock those low res photos. I look good in low res.:D

24. orange42 macrumors 6502a

Do texts in 3.0 say each individual time on them? That's something that bothers me when I go to look at the time of a text and all I get is a range.

25. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

update account set mms_on = 'T' where mms_on = 'f'

Easy enough. :D