MMS, StraightTalk and Google Voice

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Southrncomfortj, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Southrncomfortj macrumors newbie

Hey all,

I'm thinking of switching my service from T-Mobile to the AT&T side of Straight Talk. I can't find good answers on this, so I'm hoping you can help.

Can I MMS with my iPhone 5s on Straight Talk? I saw something about switching APNs, but I'm not sure.

Can I use MMS if I port my number to Google Voice?

Finally, I can't seem to find the option if it is there, but is there a way to switch the default MMS app to some other program? Like Google Hangouts?

Thanks!

2. Southrncomfortj thread starter macrumors newbie

Or, I guess one more thing: can you send a picture message through hangouts directly from the picture gallery? I can't seem to figure that out either.

3. 869639 macrumors 6502

You no longer have to do any sort of modification on the iPhone for Straight Talk / Net10. Straight Talk / Net10 has pushed a official carrier update via Apple so that everything works as soon as you input your SIM card [AT&T Straight Talk SIM]

4. nfl46 macrumors 603

This.

Also, you can only receive Google Voice MMS from certain users such as Sprint and I believe T-Mobile. Once they send an MMS to your Google Voice number, you can have the picture automatically forward to your Google email to view it. I can confirm that Sprint users can send pictures to Google Voice numbers using that method; however, I can't send pictures to them from my GV number, only my main telephone number.

5. Southrncomfortj, Feb 7, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2014

Southrncomfortj thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help guys! Good to hear that all that stuff with MMS and Straight Talk got straightened out.

It seems like you can take your number with you to Straight Talk now right? So there really isn't a need to use Google Voice anymore?

Only thing I see with number porting is that its supposed to be "local." Her number is from CA, but we are in FL now. Any way around that?

6. Southrncomfortj thread starter macrumors newbie

Also, I posted similar questions on Apple's forum and the person over there is saying that GSM unlocked iPhone 5s's won't work on the AT&T of Straight Talk. That doesn't seem right to me. Anyone with experience on this?

7. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

An unlocked iPhone will work with any GSM carrier world wide. Granted 4G/LTE will be determined if the carrier can support it.

StraightTalk (AT&T side) will work on a locked-AT&T iPhone regardless.

8. Southrncomfortj thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, that's what I thought. Don't know what this other guy was thinking.

Anyways, the one question that I still don't have a good answer to is whether she can send picture messages directly through Google Voice from the camera or gallery on her phone. Basically, she doesn't want to have to take a picture, switch to Google Hangouts, and then send the picture. She wants to be able to take the picture and send it through Google Hangouts as easily as she does now with the default messaging app. Can that be done?

9. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

From my understanding Google Voice does not support MMS.

10. 617aircav Suspended

You can receive google voice mms using a third party app like talktone.

11. 617aircav Suspended

12. 869639 macrumors 6502

I understand that Hangouts has merged with messages but I'm sure she isn't sending MMS via her google voice number so I think you are mixing something up. One thing is certain, once she gets on Straight Talk, nothing that she can't do now is going to change. Everything will work as it does now if not better, as for her number, I don't think it will be an issue, but if you must, give them your old house address at signup [not like they are going to send anything there] and then within a week switch the address. I've used my number in multiple locations [states] for lengthy periods of time and never had issues.

13. Southrncomfortj thread starter macrumors newbie

That looks great.

Thanks everyone!

14. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

A lot of people use Google voice when they don't want to give out their mobile number. Its good to have especially if you aren't locked into a mobile contract.