MMS Thought

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by efengle, Jun 29, 2009.

1. efengle macrumors newbie

OK. Apple claims MMS will only work on iPhone 3G or 3G S which is why it is not in the 3.0 OS for iPhone 2G. Intuitively, the reasoning may be that MMS data not overload the 3G network; and this could be the reason why it is in the 3.0 firmware for the iPhone 2G.

My thought is what if your iPhone 3G or 3G S is not currently connected to a 3G signal or your have 3G turned off? Will MMS simply not work at all?

If this was already discussed, sorry.

2. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

I think the question was asked once before. I am pretty sure I have asked it as well. It appears that no one has given an answer though. Maybe one of our European friends will run a little test for us. :)

3. philgilder macrumors 68000

mms works without 3g network, its been around since the days of GPRS

mms also works on the iPhone 2G if you jailbreak

4. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

SMS and im pretty sure MMS don't use the normal data part of the network, it uses some extra part of the voice network.

and the OS is different for every device, all 3.0 aren't the same.

5. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Right, but that doesn't answer the question does MMs work on the 3G/3GS when the phone is on EDGE.

6. mrtune macrumors 6502a

This has nothing to do at all with 3G. They simply want you to upgrade your phone, plain and simple.

My other phone is a Blackberry Curve. It is edge only, and MMS works just fine on it. I can send pictures, video, vcards, ringtones, audo, etc.

Also, it's been proven by those who jailbrake that MMS can work on those with the older 2G phone.

7. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

An MMS, is simply your picture+text+whatever sent via HTTP to the MMS Center in your carrier. So basically, MMS uses your data connection to submit and receive the pictures.

To receive/download an MMS, basically when someone submits the MMS to the MMS Center, the MMS Center sends a specially crafted SMS notification (or something called WAP Push) to the recipients phone, this is generally done by an SMS. This WAP Push message contains the address and the MessageID of the MMS, so that you can retrieve the exact message intended to you. :)

All done via the data network. GPRS, EDGE, HSPA, it doesn't matter.

8. mrtune macrumors 6502a

You can pretty much garauntee that when AT&T finally rolls it out for everyone in the states, that it will send while on edge only just fine. Otherwise there will be an uproar by the people who live in areas that don't even have 3G coverage.