MMS with Beta 4...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TJunkers, May 4, 2009.

1. TJunkers macrumors 6502a

TJunkers

So I had my account changed to regular text messages, and have it on and have been assured it should be working... what are your thoughts on what else I can do. I know there are other MMS threads, but they are filled with useless information half the time.

I upgraded to beta 4... is there a carrier update I need?

2. champnt macrumors newbie

When the new iPhone comes out would we still be eligible for the subsidized price still? Cuz I know in order to get MMS right now we have to tell att that we don't have an iPhone. And if you remember we only got the subsidized price because you either have iPhone already, new customer, or you are available for upgrade.

3. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

It isn't true that you need to tell AT&T you don't have an iPhone in order to get MMS working. The best route is quite the opposite- [this is assuming you are a registered dev] just tell them you are in the dev program and need to be able to beta test your app. They were quite happy to enable it for me.

4. champnt macrumors newbie

ATT Rep: "I am sorry that the iPhone does not support the MMS at this time. Apple has specifically advised us not to add it under any circumstance at this point. They have not officially announced that MMS will be on 3.0 and that the development kit has a way "

Do you remember exactly what you said? I tried telling them that story many times and had no luck.

5. Anfernee macrumors newbie

I called today to have it provisioned and had zero issue at all. It was actually quite opposite from what all the other posts on this forum indicated.

I simply said "Hello, my name is blah, I'm an iPhone developer and have recently upgraded to OS 3 beta 4- I love the new search feature btw- but I'm wondering if you could please provision my phone for the MMS functionality?"

The lady put me on hold for about 3 minutes while she spoke with her supervisor because she was unclear of how to handle that- came back and said it has been provisioned and that she changed my iPhone exclusive SMS plan to a blanket "Unlimited Messaging" plan, which includes MMS/IM/SMS/etc.- and she did- and to restart my iPhone for the changes to take effect. She did mention a $0.67 pro-rated fee for changing plans mid-service month, no biggie.

I restarted and she tried to send me a MMS and she had me try to send one, neither worked (this is with the updated .ipcc & being registered with MEdiaNet). She explained that she couldn't guarantee anything would work, but we tried again and it failed again. She tried to contact Apple directly for support and after 20 minutes on hold with them, then gave me the number to the Apple 3.0 Developer Support Center- but it was after 5pm and I decided not to even bother today, tomorrow I'll call them.

On an off topic note, even getting 'provisioned,' having the correct ATT_US.ipcc and registering for the MEdiaNet account, like I have, doesn't necessarily mean everything will work. Mine still won't send MMS's and when people send them to me, irrespective of carrier, I get no message at all, not even the oldschool "I sent you a multimedia message, go to viewmymessage.com/2 blah blah" message.

Your mileage may very, based on all the reports of members here and on other forums. Just be happy, speak with confidence, and be absolutely professional and courteous at all times. Maybe I got lucky.