Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wmflyfisher

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
iPhone 4 with the newest firmware and MMS will not send a pic over wifi. Is this normal?? It will send them when I'm in a 3G area but not here at my house with only wifi. Wouldn't do it with the older firmware either. Any help would be great.

JamesMB

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2011
Texas
Turn your wifi of and see if you are on edge or 3g when at home. I'm on edge at my home and most of the time MMS will just time out.
One other thing that can cause you problems with MMS on iPhone 4 is the size of the files/pics. The resolution of IP4 is much higher than the 3g/3gs and the pics taken with IP4 are well over 1mb in size. Sending a file that large over Edge, which can be anywhere from 40 to 150kbs, is gonna take awhile. You could use an app like PhotoGenie to re-size your pics before you send them and see if that solves your problem. It would sure be nice if the messaging app in the iPhone would give you a choice to re-size pics before you send them like the mail app does.
There are also some messaging apps in the app store that will let you use wifi, but the stock app does not.

wmflyfisher

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
Ok guys thanks for the info. I'm an idiot. Should have been a bit more clear. It doesn't work at my house and I get 3-4 bars regularly and get a signal great.

Any ideas??

JamesMB

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2011
Texas
Ok guys thanks for the info. I'm an idiot. Should have been a bit more clear. It doesn't work at my house and I get 3-4 bars regularly and get a signal great.

Any ideas??
I gave you some ideas, did you try them.
You say that you have a "great" signal. What kind of signal would that be?
Did you try it with wifi off. Its gonna be impossible to help you with no information, other than "it doesn't work".

wmflyfisher

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
I gave you some ideas, did you try them.
You say that you have a "great" signal. What kind of signal would that be?
Did you try it with wifi off. Its gonna be impossible to help you with no information, other than "it doesn't work".

Sorry James. I didn't see your previous post til just now. Yes my network is on EDGE when wifi is off and my MMS doesn't time out. It just fails to send. It would be nice not to have to resize it every time but I guess that's my only option right?

JamesMB

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2011
Texas
Sorry James. I didn't see your previous post til just now. Yes my network is on EDGE when wifi is off and my MMS doesn't time out. It just fails to send. It would be nice not to have to resize it every time but I guess that's my only option right?
If you read my post, it explains how to deal with MMS and iPhone 4 over edge.
Either use the app that I suggested to resize the pics or download a messaging app that has MMS wifi capabilities.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.