MMS working without 3G and fake APN on 3.0

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pedrofan, Jun 14, 2009.

1. pedrofan macrumors 6502

As you know, it is not possible to disable data downloading in iphone's settings, so if you don't have data plan, your carrier will charge you all kbs you download when you accidentally tap on mail or safari. To disable that you have to install a fake APN configuration but it means that your iphone won't be able to download any data over phone's network (webpages, mails, etc).
    I have just installed the definitive version of fw 3.0 and the first thing i did was to disable 3g and to install fake APN to block all data downloading because I don't have any data plan. Mail, safari, maps, etc don't work without wifi, but what about MMS..??
    IT WORKS!!! What does it mean? Mms doesn't depend on 3g? It is a great new for me because I can send and recive MMS with all data disabled!!!
    I think that MMS doen't depend on 3g at least here in spain. I have an old nokia that is not 3g and it receives Mms fine.. Are

2. Mengels7 macrumors regular

3. pol0001 macrumors 6502

pol0001

With Dutch and German carriers, MMS has always been independent from data tarifs. That's why there are extra charges for MMS. (0.50€ for each send MMS with T-Mobile NL)

4. pedrofan thread starter macrumors 6502

5. Mengels7 macrumors regular

Has nothing to do with 3G. It isn't in the software for the original iPhone I don't believe.

6. pol0001 macrumors 6502

pol0001

I guess from a technical point of view .... yes they would be able to receive MMS. But Apple is giving you not the necessary software so you're phone can process MMS. They pointed that out in the keynote at the WWDC.