Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mfauriss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2008
I have searched for answers and can't find one. Is MMS directly to the iPhone an iPhone problem, or network issue with At&t?

Any word out there if MMS will be available soon?

Matthew Fauris

kdarling

macrumors P6
It's simply because there's not an (official) MMS application on the iPhone.

If you had to guess why not, a good reason could be that Jobs is 52 years old. People in his (my) age group tend to use email, and to have little concept of MMS. If it's not important to Jobs or doesn't make him money, I don't think it gets priority.

I certainly don't think it's a conspiracy as some think, to push email over MMS. Jobs has never even hinted at such a thing. It's just not been added yet.

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
It's simply because there's not an (official) MMS application on the iPhone.

If you had to guess why not, a good reason could be that Jobs is 52 years old. People in his (my) age group tend to use email, and to have little concept of MMS.

...or need! Im in the same generation and feel the exact same way. Email works just fine for me.

brn2ski00

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
MA
I disagree... I am much younger and would love to see this feature. It would be a hell of a lot better than going to viewmymessage.com for pics!

Nipz

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2006
UK
Email is fine if the other person can get them on there phone.

i would to have MMS just because it think it would be a nice addition but email again works ok for me :)

Bad Ash

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2008
Chicago, IL
Most phones allow you to MMS to email addresses. Not that difficult. The only pain is telling your friends to be sure to MMS to your email and not your mobile number.

kdarling

macrumors P6
I disagree... I am much younger and would love to see this feature. It would be a hell of a lot better than going to viewmymessage.com for pics!

I think we all can agree on that!

According to surveys, people below 30 and above 60, like MMS. The younger and older groups like it because it's easy to use. People in the middle group grew up with only email. Or such is the supposed explanation.

Bad Ash

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2008
Chicago, IL
I think we all can agree on that!

According to surveys, people below 30 and above 60, like MMS. The younger and older groups like it because it's easy to use. People in the middle group grew up with only email. Or such is the supposed explanation.

Or you are used to WM devices on Sprint. Which is my case, never had MMS on those.

Hudzilla

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2007
England
Its more than likely MMS will be coming with the app store in June so it wont be much longer to wait now!!!:D

cjandnw

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2007
South Jersey
APP store

Its more than likely MMS will be coming with the app store in June so it wont be much longer to wait now!!!:D

Another poster suggested this idea for MMS:
Have an APP that filters text alerts to go to viewmymessage and automatically enter passwords and download the pic.

Not perfect, but could save a few annoying steps.

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT

And if its not included with App Store, Generation 2 iPhone do what will you do and all your fellow MiMs do then? :(

Do we need to initiate suicide watch if no mms for all you that are so stuck with it? :eek:

I would assume by now that the majority have adapted and overcome this minor inconvienance and if not I hope you all don't set yourself's up for a hugh disappointment when/if it don't happen ;)

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
i really cant imagine that it WOULDNT happen, either with an app OR on the new phone, but either way it seems like a BIG thing to completely leave out of a phone since just about every other phone has it. It is basically a necessity for cell phones, not a necessity for every individual though.. i dunno, i think it would be NICE to have just because its simple because we are used to doing it one way..

However, since there is DEFINITELY going to be some kind of version of iChat, then you might be able to send pictures via IM too. i dont know how that works though.

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
MMS can be done through a software update if Apple decided to.

An AppStore app wouldn't be much of use, right? Apps aren't allowed to run in the background. Well, I guess it can be like the Mail.app set on Manual...only check when you open it.

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
really? apps can not run in the background? DO you think they will do some kind of software update it allow certain apps to run all the time like MMS?? although i would NOT be against just checking my pic messages every so often. Pic messages are NEVER important and usually just silly, so that wouldnt bother me, and if it was important, it would be a person out on the field texting a pic to me of a machine or something and i would be expecting it.

Bootsie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2008
Utah
I wish that it had it, I only use it once or twice per month, but going through the hassle of using SwirlyMMS (my preview app won't work so I have to move the files to the books app to view them) is still annoying.

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
really? apps can not run in the background? DO you think they will do some kind of software update it allow certain apps to run all the time like MMS?? although i would NOT be against just checking my pic messages every so often. Pic messages are NEVER important and usually just silly, so that wouldnt bother me, and if it was important, it would be a person out on the field texting a pic to me of a machine or something and i would be expecting it.

No no, apps can run in the background on the iPhone OS (take SMS for example).

But the developers using the iPhone SDK are not allowed to write apps that run in the background (according to the terms that developers agree to). So the only way to get background MMS is if Apple does it themselves or they allow the developer to run it in the background (kinda like how they're probably gonna let Adobe and Sun make Flash and Java)

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
doesn;t that just mean that they can allow SOME developers, like their OWN people to create an app that can run in the background. So something like iChat, which is an apple standard would be allowed, but whak-a-mole game would NOT.. it seems if they HAVE the ability to write apps that CAN run that way, that they would have their own people, or sub-contracted people write apps that are allowed to run in the background. There is no security thing on the iphone OS that stops new apps from working i the background correct?? its just a requirement for the developers

Andrmgic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
My question would be - Why does anyone still have a phone that isn't capable of e-mail?

e-mail can do so much more than MMS. Sure, it would be nice for it to be included for those that want it, but I couldn't care less.

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
doesn;t that just mean that they can allow SOME developers, like their OWN people to create an app that can run in the background. So something like iChat, which is an apple standard would be allowed, but whak-a-mole game would NOT.. it seems if they HAVE the ability to write apps that CAN run that way, that they would have their own people, or sub-contracted people write apps that are allowed to run in the background. There is no security thing on the iphone OS that stops new apps from working i the background correct?? its just a requirement for the developers

Yeah, it's just a guideline. It's not like you have to hack XCode. You can easily do it by overriding the applicationSuspend method. I'm sure that Apple will allow AOL to have their AIM run in the background.

Hopefully Apple will just make it easier and faster by putting MMS in a software update.

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
right. That is what i was thinking. its a guideline for outside developers so that they cant make things that slow down the OS of the iphone. I mean, if you had TONS of apps running constantly every day, it would not last.

It just reminds me of PC vs. Mac. I mean, you buy a PC and it comes with an INSANE amount of things that run in the background that are useless. You get a mac, and the ONLY things that are running are the things that you need. I think by requiring developers to develope a program that does NOT constantly run, they are protecting their customers from malicious developers that want to slow down or hack an iphone. This way, THEY can control what can and can not be uploaded to an iphone and make sure that any app that is "sanctioned" by apple is safe and will not compromise your iphone;s os. But that doesnt mean that they will not allow their own developers to create a program that runs in the background. I mean, someone had to create the software that is on there now, so they can do it again. its just safer that way..

that is also the reason why i will not put an 3rd part apps on my phone until apple comes out with a list of ones that they say is ok. I just would rather not risk it and wait.. MAINLY because i do NOT know a lot about programming, so i dont know what is good and what is not. i'd rather have apple do all the thinking for me in that field.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
you can email pictures to a person's phone number.

Though I think I'll stick to emailing to email as many of my friends get pissed because they don't have picture messaging on their plan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.