Mms

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ikklejo, Aug 4, 2008.

1. ikklejo macrumors regular

Is it true that you can't send MMS on the iPhone only normal text messages!!??
    This seems very strange to me?
    Thanks
    Jo

2. maxxscholten macrumors regular

Yeah, the best you can do is email someone a photo

3. ikklejo thread starter macrumors regular

That seems really silly to me, its all good and well having all the wonders that it does which i love, but keep the basics of a phone surely?!:(

4. ikklejo thread starter macrumors regular

Does anyone know away round this so it is possible to send picture messages instead of an email?
    Thanks
    J

5. philgilder macrumors 68000

you can jailbreak and install an app called TwirlyMMS
    or just email it. most phones now can receive email

6. ikklejo thread starter macrumors regular

Sadly most of my friends don't have email on there phones!! and i do send quite a few MMS messages.
    Im not really into the jail breaking thing!:(
    Is this my only option if i go for an iPhone?

7. JWages macrumors regular

Yes it'd be your only option. You can send it as an email directly to their phone, though. All you do is enter their number @ specific address.

For example if you're sending to a Verizon customer, it'd be numberhere@vzwpix.com

It'd go straight to their phone.

For a full list:

Boost Mobile:
    10digitmobilenumber@twoway.boostmobile.net
    10digitmobilenumber@myboostmobile.com

Cingular:
    10digitmobilenumber@mobile.mycingular.com (text only)
    10digitmobilenumber@mms.mycingular.com (pics)

Cricket:
    10digitmobilenumber@mms.mycricket.com

Nextel:
    10digitmobilenumber@messaging.nextel.com

Sprint
    10digitmobilenumber@pm.sprint.com

T-Mobile:
    10digitmobilenumber@tmomail.net

Verizon:
    10digitmobilenumber@vtext.com (text only)
    10digitmobilenumber@vzwpix.com (pics)

8. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

Yeah pretty much

9. JWages macrumors regular

I just realized you're from the UK. So that list doesn't really help you much, but at least you get what I'm saying :p

10. philgilder macrumors 68000

yeah, they dont do that sort of thing in the uk
    to get MMS, either jailbreak the phone, or don't but an iphone

11. jmmo20 macrumors 65816

thing is, that only works in the US and very few other networks worldwide. Most (95%) networks don't like email gateways and thus they're disabled.

So .. "most mobile phones can receive emails" is by large a false statement. hte US mobile market represents only a tiny portion of the worldwide market, and Apple should realise this if they really want to "conquer" the whole market.

12. ikklejo thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah sorry should have mentioned the UK thing when i posted, but i get what you are saying, thanks.:D

I was so excited about this phone but im learning things i dont like about it:(
    Just kind of basic phone stuff, No flash, No video, No MMS only 2MP camera, i know all the other it does is fantastic and it will probably still swing me to buy it but i just wish they also put on the basic stuff:(

13. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

Yea its missing some basic stuff but most of its for good reasons. Im not going to find the reasons but the search button on the site will help you do that. MMS is dead. Email is the way forward.

Dont let the silly things stop you from having the best phone out there...

14. The Phazer macrumors 68030

MMSes being sent in the UK have gone up since the phone was introduced.

That in no way could be described as "dead."

Phazer

15. SHIFTLife macrumors 6502

MMS is dead because Apple didn't implement it? Pull your head out of your ass. If MMS was dead, then you wouldn't see 90% of handsets in the world having the capability to send MMS messages.

Apple isn't nearly Microsoft. They don't have the ability to set/revoke "standards" in the market. Hell, even Microsoft has trouble doing that these days, where they used to be able to do it at the drop of the hat.

16. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

Ok Dead was a strong word.

But i have never liked MMS and with the unlimited data with the iPhone its just stupid not to email it even if there was MMS on the iPhone.

Im just saying dont miss out on an awesome phone just because it doesnt have a 5MP camera, or flash etc.

17. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

LOL i think Steve Jobs is being stubborn and trying to phaze out MMS for email, but it's just not going to happen. especially not when almost any phone out there has this basic function... even the free or really cheap ones. But a few people like yourself do drink the Kool-Aid and think MMS is dead because apple doesn't want to include it in their phone.. but if you look at the numbers thats completely wrong, wireless providers make tons of money off MMS.

18. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

Ok ok ok... I may well be an Apple lover, but just cause its not on the iPhone and Mr Jobs hasnt put it on it that i think that its a bad thing. Im just saying that its free to Email it with the unlimited data so why would you want to MMS something. I dont see the point in it myself.

19. True Tao macrumors member

I think it’s ridiculous that apple didn’t include MMS. I’m all for e-mailing, don’t have a problem with it but a lot of people out there don’t have smartphones nor the need for a smartphone. The e-mail apps that come with non-smartphones is crap so why bother trying to e-mail it to them. I’m no expert but it seems it would have been pretty easy to put a simple MMS app on this phone. :mad:

20. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

On my current phone I can snap a picture and immediately MMS it to a contact. It takes less than 30 seconds and that includes taking the picture.

Jailbreak for me....with TwirlyMMS. It only makes sense.

21. DreamPod macrumors 65816

No, most phones can't get email. Most expensive smartphones and communicator phones, yes, but like 90% of cell phone owners get free/cheap camera phones with their service, that can do calls, take pictures and do MMS but nothing else. If all of your friends have iPhones that's great, but in the real world, MMS is far far more prevalent than email.

As well, for the purpose of sending quick pictures email sucks compared to MMS unless every single person you are emailing has push-mail. MMS is just as fast as SMS texting, while email can be slow, and people aren't constantly checking email. Heck, on the iPhone the most often you can have it automatically check mail is 15 minutes. A person is also going to be getting lot more email than MMS's - if I get 20 emails a day, and 30 spams (iPhone has no spam blocker), an "MMS email" could sit for a long time before I notice it. If ever.

22. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

The calculus is simple -- if MMS is that big a deal to you, buy the phone knowing you will have to jailbreak it, or get a different phone.

23. Amorpheus macrumors member

What's the deal about not supporting MMS in the first place? I'd think there's nothing more to it than creating the necessary software.

24. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

Swirly MMS is supposedly working on something for the app store. We'll see what Apple does, but I agree, it is asinine to not have this as an option from the start.

25. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

Probably because it's to Apple's advantage to have people using email not MMS.