Mobee experiences with Magic Mouse appreciated.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Lankyman, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Lankyman macrumors 68000

A work colleague of mine has just purchased his first iMac and is intending to buy the Mobee charger for the Magic Mouse.

I have read really polarised views and experiences about this particular product. Some people claim it's a really good product with faultless performance whilst an almost equal number claim it is awful, doesn't work properly and has serious quality issues.

I promised my colleague I would ask on here for him in order to try to get some real world views from actual owners.

So what's the real story here?

2. cxc273 macrumors regular

It works pretty much as advertised. My only issue with the Mobee was the installation of the new battery unit. The fit was rather tight with the door and I think it took a little bit of work to get the door to the battery compartment to shut properly.

Beyond that, my wife is pretty happy with it.

3. Lankyman thread starter macrumors 68000

It's the battery unit that comes in for a great deal of criticism, either to tight and the user can't get the cover to close or to slack and the mouse keeps losing its connection.

How long have you been using it, as another bone of contention appears to be the batteries or the unit don't appear to last very long.

4. opinio macrumors 65816

It has been fine for me.

Three points:

1. The battery is rechargeable (not alkaline or lithium) so it is not 1.5v. It's something like 1.2v (like many rechargeables) so OSX never registers it as 100%. So when it is fully charged, OSX sees it as around 75% even though it is fully charged. It is more of an OSX issue with the OS not being able to differentiate between types of batteries as some dvices can do (e.g. cameras)

2. OSX appears to be designed to track the percentage decrease in the battery as it decharges, but cannot pick up that is is recharging so if you want it to show its actual charge (after a recharge cycle) you need to switch it off and on (or remove the battery). For me I do not care about this as I simply leave it on the charge all the time. When the green light is solid it is 100%. I put it back on the charge at night.

3. You need to push the base in hard and move the black base cover latch back and forth until it clicks in. It is hard but not impossible.

I am very happy with my Mobee charge for the Magic Mouse. As for the keyboard charger though I had to senrd it back. I had the same problem as everyone else, the battery pack is poorly manufactured and does not make contact. Brilliant idea, but very poor design standards.

Also, to answer your Q, I have had mine for 4 months.

5. mschipperheyn macrumors newbie

Lots of connections los

I hve had a lot of lost connections making it barely workable. I just fiddled around with the battery connectior and it seems to be working now but it was hard to get it back in because the backplate connection latch "gives". I'm afraid one of these days I will break it. I just hope that finally I got it right and it will just work.

6. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

I have 3 of the Mobee rechargeable battery packs for the Magic Mouse and am happy with them. If the battery does wear out, they are easily replaced with standard AAA rechargeable cells (I like Eneloop) by simply removing 2 screws holding the cover over the batteries.

7. linds15 macrumors 6502a

i loved mine while it worked, after it stopped working it went into a drawer and hasn't seen my desk again.