Mobile Broadband Experts, please help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by M. Malone, Mar 27, 2008.

1. M. Malone macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

Hello,

So I'm looking for a way to connect to the internet where ever I am. In my country, the CDMA wireless provider here supplies both of the following products:

PC Card Option

USB Option

What you do with these devices is slide out a tiny tray and stick the CDMA card in it (it looks exactly like a GSM SIM card).

The PC card option doesn't fit into the MBP, the USB is compatible with Mac OS X via third party software. But I would prefer something that doesn't dangle around like the USB option.

Can someone help me find a Mac OS X compatible Express Card option that has the same exact specs as the ones I attached that would work where I live. The 2 options I attached work in my country with no issues.

Thank you :)

2. M. Malone thread starter macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

I'm sure we have tech experts out there

3. bcaslis macrumors 68020

I've never heard of a CDMA device that uses a SIM like card. The V740 from Verizon and Sprint works fine with a Mac and requires no additional software, it's automatically recognized by Mac OS X. You really need to talk to the provider to see which cards they support, in the U.S. the CDMA providers only work with cards they sell (other cards cannot be activated unlike a GSM provider). If these are the only two they sell you will have to go with the USB.

4. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

5. M. Malone thread starter macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

Thanks guys,

Still looking for a non dangle option though

My service provider doesn't actually sell the USB and PC Card, they give you the model numbers and you go buy them yourself. I just needed something that has the same specs.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If it's just CDMA, you can just go buy a Sierra Wireless Aircard 597E for the express card option or a 595U for the
    USB option.

7. tlapple macrumors newbie

I know this thread is old, but hoping you get this and can let me know your experience with the Sierra 595U if you have used it with a MBP.

I'd be especially interested to hear how it affects MBP battery life in real world use and if you have had any issues with coverage, speed, etc. Thanks.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Pretty good reception and everything. It's Rev. A, so it's fast. It doesn't affect battery life much.