Mobile Broadband

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Pyrotechnic, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Pyrotechnic macrumors 6502

Pyrotechnic

I currently need to replace my mobile broadband and dongle as my existing one with Virgin media in a pain in the ass. From day one it has never worked and I have to constantly work around the software to get it to work on my Mac Book Pro.

So my question is, can anyone recommend a mobile broadband provider which will allow a dongle to be plugged into my Mac Book Pro running Snow Leopard without ay issues at all.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I used a dongle from 3 at one point but its not without issues as well (frequent kernel panics). Just a warning.

3. brentsg macrumors 68040

Just get a Virgin MiFi. It creates an 802.11G network that you join with your devices. That way you avoid any special software drivers and such, plus you can use it with any device you wish.

4. g4 powerbookboy macrumors regular

i use cricket broadband usb modem with all 3 of my macs... they are a g3 imac 400/256 a g4 powerbook 400/512 and a 2010 model mac mini. the mac mini is running snow leopard and the other 2 are running tiger 10.4.11 and all three work perfect. cricket is cheap too it is like around $ 42.00 a month for unlimited use.

5. Pyrotechnic thread starter macrumors 6502

Pyrotechnic

Its just a simple dongle type device I need for the odd trip away from home. I currently pay a £5 a month for the Virgin Media service, O2 offer a similar deal but I want one that actually works. Not quite sure if the supplied dongle from O2 is trouble free.

6. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

I have a T-Mobile one, PAYGO which you just pay £2 out your credit and you get 24hrs usage, suits me when I barely ever use it..

Software works perfectly on my MacBook Pro.

7. Pyrotechnic thread starter macrumors 6502

Pyrotechnic

I read that T Mobile works well with Snow Leopard. I was looking at O2 as my mobile is already with these and coverage is good. However, looking at their forums they seem to have problems with their dongles too.

You would think 12 months on that they would have all got their act together.

8. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Don't get a dongle.

Seriously, all of the software for them sucks, especially on the Mac.

Get a MiFi (or Mobile WiFi). Three UK do a really good one, and super-cheap, too. http://www.three.co.uk/Mobile_Broadband/MiFi

Connect up to 5 devices via WiFi. If you run out of juice then you can, if you must, plug it in via USB and use it just like a dongle. Battery life is good, about 5 hours.

Love mine. I've done all the dongles. This is the nuts. We talk about this sort of stuff a lot on Talk3G (UK) if you need more help.

9. Pyrotechnic thread starter macrumors 6502

Pyrotechnic

Wow, never seen them before. A little more than what I wanted but the 18 month contract at £9.50 looks ideal for me. I take it this acts like a wireless router picking up its signal from the network.

Mmm, I need to read up on this now :)

10. silveradoman01 macrumors member

my verizon mobile broadband works great. It plugs in to the USB drive, and in 5 clicks im ready to go.

11. Pyrotechnic thread starter macrumors 6502

Pyrotechnic

Mmm, might struggle in the UK ;)

Its a UK based provider I am after. The above MiFi has me intrigued ?

12. Pyrotechnic thread starter macrumors 6502

Pyrotechnic

Cheers MiniConvert

Went and bought the MiFi as detailed above. Will let you know how I get on ;)