Mobile / Cell Phone Recommendations

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Shaun.P, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

I dropped my unlocked iPhone and now the hold button is constantly depressed, meaning I can't lock the phone or it goes into an endless cycle of rebooting itself.

I have put it up on eBay and there seems to be quite a fair bit of interest in it, and I'm expecting to get ~ £120 + for it, which I will use to put towards a new phone.

Unfortunately I can't start a new contract as I currently have 11 months left of a 18 month contract (£30 / month for unlimited texts and 400 minutes).

Now remains the ordeal of getting a new handset. I have no idea what to go for.

I suppose I'm looking for something that is:

- Non-touch, making it easier to text (when driving :p).
    - Something with a good calendar (I liked this feature in the iPhone).
    - Easy to fetch my email from (I never used the feature in the iPhone as it was unlocked and I did not have a data plan with my provider, however I think with a new handset I can get it for around £7.50 / month, and I think being able to fetch my email would be beneficial to me).
    - Easy on the battery. Something that needs charged every day is no good.
    - Camera is not important.
    - Build quality is very important. It has to look and feel good.

I like the look of the Nokia 6500 Slide. However the phone does not get the most positive reviews, and the battery life is meant to very poor.

Is there anything you can recommend me? I am also contemplating blackberry's, and I am willing to spend up to around £175.

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

I used to have a 6500 slide before I got my iPhone, they're pretty nice phones, the battery life isn't great to be honest, it's ok on standby, it'll go for weeks, but calling and texting very quickly take down the battery life, and my boss said the email app was pretty poor...

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I would go with a Blackberry. It does what you want, and has good battery life.

4. Shaun.P thread starter macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

What particular model?

5. Shaun.P thread starter macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

Yeah I really like the black model of this phone. I've seen one too, and the build quality seems amazing. Seems constructed really well.

6. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

1) Don't text and drive.
    2) Not recommending it, per se, but I really like my Palm Centro. The thing is pretty tough, the keyboard is usable even though it looks small, the Mail app works well, and there's lots of other ones you can get for it, I don't use it's calendar app, but it seems decent enough and, again, the Palm OS has been around long enough for there to be plenty of alternatives. Battery is decent. I use it pretty heavily and I charge every other day without problem. I imagine if you weren't heavy on the data usage you could stretch that another day. You won't find many smartphones that are much better than that.
    3) Don't text and drive.

7. Shaun.P thread starter macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

Is it available in the UK? I have never heard of / saw it before.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

9. Shaun.P thread starter macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

11. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

HTC Touch Pro
    Nice device. Also I'd look into a Palm Treo Pro.

They are high end devices, but nice, and worth it.

Also texting and driving, is stupid.

12. shfreelance macrumors 6502a

Look into the Blackberry 8800, they are pretty cheap now and are very good phones. If you can afford it get the 8300.

Edit: Since your contract is not up, I would buy used. Save you some money, so in 11 mouths you can get the bold.

13. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

14. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

If you're looking for calendar, e-mail and a physical keyboard, I'd go with a Palm over a Blackberry for a Mac user.

The Palm OS has a great calendar (better than the iPhone, IMO) and e-mail is really easy to use. Battery life is spectacular. I used to go several days on one charge (with manual e-mail fetch) and regular phone use. Also, texting is set up in conversations, like the iPhone (except you can forward and/or delete individual texts).

It syncs better with a Mac than the Blackberry (though there are still some issues with Leopard, Tiger works 100%), but not quite as seamlessly as the iPhone, of course.

There are several models available, from the cheapest at around $99 (which it sounds like could work for you) to over $400 last I checked.

I'm talking about the Palms with Palm OS, not Windows Mobile, so keep that in mind.

One thing: they're not cute. If you're looking for something stylish, look elsewhere. ;)

15. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

16. Shaun.P thread starter macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

17. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

18. stanfordtechman macrumors member

is there already unlocked 3G iphone out ?? wow... hm...

19. da2005pizimp macrumors 6502

i used to have a blackberry pearl and i loved it. it was a very neat phone, very compact and the roller ball was real cool.

20. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

Congrats :) I thought you wanted something with a physical keyboard :p

21. Shaun.P thread starter macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

Uff I did, but I just couldn't see myself going back to a normal phone. The iPhone suits me better :).

The first one I had was unlocked, so I couldn't take advantage of the data with my contract, but with the 3G one, I can take full advantage as it's unlimited data. I'm very impressed, and I finally got the apps to work!

I know it sounds silly, but the fact that I can check my emails on the go is absolutely brilliant.