"Mobile Data vs 3G" HELP PLS!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by duction, Jul 11, 2010.

1. duction macrumors 6502a

duction

hey im quite new to iphones, the Iphone4 is my 1st,

what i want to know is,

in your options on the phone in

General > Network>

you have 3G (which is 3G internet that i pay for), but under it is "mobile data". whats the mobile data option for? 2G???

i can have 3G off and my internet still works through this "mobile data" if its ON ?

can anyone tell me what it is and what it uses ?

thanks

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Enable 3G On/Off = Switch between 3G and EDGE ("2G").

Cellular/Mobile Data = No data connection via cellular. voice is unaffected. (So if a user goes to a different country, they can stop all data connections including the ones initiated by background processes, or come home to a giant data usage bill which is generally billed per kb).

Airplane mode = no radios at all (bluetooth/cellular/wifi)

3. duction thread starter macrumors 6502a

duction

ok so how come i can have a data connection on and 3G off? whats that running through ? as i can still browse internet ? this is all with wi-fi off by teh way.

im just confused as mobile data internet is faster then my 3G ?

4. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

Yes cellular or mobile data is 2g or edge. on iphone 1 you could not talk and surf at the same time. 2g uses your mobile connection, 3g is a different connection.

in pre iphone 4 that setting said "Edge Data"

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

"2G", which is what you are using if you have data connection on and 3G off, shouldn't be faster.
    What method did you use to come to that conclusion?

BTW, the user is given the option to turn 3G data off because one can get more battery life from using a 2G connection where appropriate.

6. duction thread starter macrumors 6502a

duction

hmm. makes sence thanks. but how come you cant use 3G without mobile data being on ? (if it is only 2G) surely u wouldnt need both on?

7. rywat macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3gs: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

The term "mobile data" includes both 2g (edge) and 3g connections. If you turn off 3g you'll be on edge. If you turn off "mobile data" then your phone will not connect to 2g or 3g. You would still be able to make phone calls of course.

8. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

eh..
    hmm...