Mobile Documents Folder

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by Cursor, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Cursor macrumors 6502

Cursor

Good evening all,

I have a 50gb iCloud account, of which I use about 30gb for documents, photos, etc. I've noticed my rMBP hard drive slowly dwindling and in trying to delete files came across the "Mobile Documents" folder in my user library folder. This seems like a complete duplicate of my iCloud Drive.

I was always under the impression that files kept on iCloud didn't take up any space on the local drive. Why is that folder 30gb in size?

I keep photos and movies in iCloud, so they don't take up space on my laptop. Can someone clear up what's going on?

Thanks!

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That is not really duplicate, it IS the iCloud Drive folder. Finder just labels in iCloud Drive, but you are really looking at the Mobile Documents folder there. Any files stored in iCloud Documents online are mirrored in that local folder.

3. Cursor thread starter macrumors 6502

Cursor

So if I'm understanding correctly, every Mac that is connected to my iCloud account will have an additional 30gb folder taking up space on the hard drive? Why doesn't iCloud Drive take up any space on iDevices?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

iCloud Drive is not the same thing as your iOS iCloud backups. But if you have for example, a couple hundred Pages and Numbers documents in iCloud Drive and they take 5GB of space, every device with iCloud Drive enabled will have that 5GB of files on the device. On both OS X and iOS you can go in the iCloud Drive settings and control that a little by category. You can see the options here in my screenshot.

Screen Shot 2016-02-27 at 5.47.50 AM.png