Mobile Final Cut users...... Need suggestions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NRose8989, Jul 9, 2008.

1. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

I'm curious about what scratch disk some of you use? Do any of you use just your internal drive as a scratch disk or do you use a portable external? I'm Thinking about getting a hitachi 7k320 and replacing my current 160GB 5400 rpm drive. then i could put the spare 160GB in a firewire enclosure but I'm wondering what would yield better performance

Either:

1. run the scratch disk on the new hitachi drive

OR

2. run the scratch disk off of the portable firewire drive

The internal drive is faster but also has to handle OS work as well but the external drive is only a 5400 rpm drive.

What do some of you guys/gals use?

2. Jimmizilla macrumors newbie

Well, I'm using the internal HDD as my scratch disk (200GB 5400RPM stock HDD) since I'm working with SD footage for shorts. I still have 100GB left. IMO, you should use the 7K320 as your internal, as there aren't really any downsides from that apart from a voided warranty. I don't really like carrying extra HDDs around unless I really need to, so using the 7K320 as your sratch disk isn't bad either. You could always get a really really big external for in your home and archive all your footage on that once you're finished editing.

3. NRose8989 thread starter macrumors 6502a

If i recall, i think the warranty is only voided on the hard drive and not the whole computer when you replace the hard drive. anywho i already do archive my RAW footage to a external drive but its a WD mybook so its not portable and not logical to take it everywhere. I'm curious of the trade off of using a fast internal drive as a scratch disk or using a slower portable external as a scratch disk. I work with hD footage so every bit of performance is a plus

4. Jimmizilla macrumors newbie

I would think that a faster drive, no matter internal or external would work better as a scratch disk because of the faster seek times.

I would personally use the faster drive internally, as it could boost a little bit of performance overall, and I could keep FC running while moving my MPB around without having to drag the external as well.

As for the warranty, Apple's warranty PDF states that the warranty does not apply to a computer that was serviced by anyone who is not authorized by Apple and that it also does not apply when parts have been modified to alter functionality or capability without Apple's written consent.
    I would think that opening the thing up and replacing the HDD would be servicing it as well as modifying it to alter its capability.

5. NRose8989 thread starter macrumors 6502a

interesting.... well i still need a faster / bigger HD so looks like I'm gonna have to take it to a certified tech.

6. NRose8989 thread starter macrumors 6502a

7. Stang68 macrumors 6502a

Stang68

Hey, I would suggest using an external hard drive as the capture scratch because before you know it, your footage will take up a TON of space on your internal drive. I suggest a Lacie Rugged Drive, I have two of those and they work great. I also have to Iomega Externals and they are nice too. I have had bad experience with putting the capture scratch on my Mac hardrive.

8. rustyb99 macrumors member

I would recommend using an externall drive as your scratch disk, and storing your footage on that. It is much safer. I use a WD Mybook. Not very portable but a great drive

9. nyzballa12 macrumors member

I would say use an External, easier, less hassle and is portable