"Mobile-friendly" Version of MR?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by MatthewLTL, Jun 28, 2015.

1. MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

Since my laptop is un-usable until I can buy a new charger, I will be using my ASUS A626 MyPal PocketPC. Is ther a mobile version (Such as "m.macrumors.com")?

2. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

The new forum software is specifically designed to be adaptable to whatever device you access it on. No more mobile version.

3. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

I find that untrue. I tried CREATING this thread on the PocketPC and it returned a Error saying i did not answer the required Poll questions.(???)

4. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

PocketPC probably isn't supported in that it's been dead for years and the anticipated lifespan is 2-3 years for such a device.

5. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

Tecnically speaking, So is PowerPC Macs but they are still usable even 10 years after being abandoned

6. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

The new site effectively killed Classilla, which is(I think) designed to present itself as an old Nokia smartphone.

I use to be able to browse even the desktop version on my PowerMac 9600. Now, the site is just useable in Classilla on a 1.25ghz MDD G4. It makes IE 5 roll over and play dead :)

7. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

8. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I guess you're not aware, Matthew here thinks iPhone/smartphone users are "Lazy". It has something to do with a non-lazy person would carry a phone, MP3 play, PDA, camera, GPS, reference books, dictionary, notepad, alarm clock, portable DVD player, laptop, weather station, map set, typewriter, etc than just a smartphone. I think the "smart" in smartphone implies someone would be smart do to this. He also has this long standing belief that one much choose between a computer and a phone, as if you can't own both and that "most people" (or many?) opt solely for an $800 iPhone.

9. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Damn, if Matthew is correct, then I'm super lazy. How dare I try to make my life easier by consolidating into an iPhone?

brb, gonna go throw my TI calculator away and carry around an abacus... I'm an idiot.

10. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

Matt, why not think of it as a self inflicted Time Out.

KGB:cool:

11. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Wouldn't going to best buy and picking up a charger be a better answer than trying to make this site work on you Pocket PC?

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

A Pocket PC? That is quiet old school. Why not use a Palm device?:p

That seems like it would be a whole lot easier.

13. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

No, a cell phone and a laptop/netbook would surfice. All the rest you said just makes it harder than it has to be.
    AND my point is people can/will/DO spend $800 for a ******** phone yet say they can't afford Internet and a computer?
    Palm is useless pocketpc still useful.

14. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

You forgot to mention his favorite car is a Daewoo.

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

So useful you can't access MacRumors on it.

16. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

PocketPC is just as obsolete as Palm. No one is making software or hardware. Microsoft dropped support years ago. It can run programs of that era, but you can't expect compatibility with future technology.

93% of employed households have computers. 85% of households have Internet (the exception is generally senior citizens). BTW most states ISP's for low income households ($10/month in CT). 65% of Americans have smartphones. Therefore far more people own computers than smartphones.

98% of college students own a computer. When I was in college I didnt know of a single person without a computer.

I'm not sure how many computerless iPhone users you know, but I imagine they're in a minority. If they don't own a computer, they probably don't find the need for one. Unless you're doing a lot of productivity (word, excel, quicken), video editing, photo editing, etc work, you're needs might be met with a phone.

I would predict in the future your cell phone and computer will merge into one. Motorola had a droid that plugged into a laptop shell a few years ago. I anticipate with advances in tech, that's the way we're heading.

I guess my point is I don't understand where the "lazy" part comes into this. Are you saying people who can't afford computers are "lazy" because they are poor?

17. MatthewLTL, Jun 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2015

MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

Yes I can. I can read/reply to topics just cannot create threads.
    1. Opera Mobile 10 (or 11) and UCBrowser 7. Work just fine people think it's a smartphone. :p
    2. I want proof of that.
    3. It's called UbuntuPhone.
    4. No, not lazy, just stupid. You cannot afford a computer and lifeline Internet but can afford a $100-$800 phone and pay $50+ for a plan? I have yet to meet a single person (besides the people who debate on MR) that can actually give a REASON for having/needing a smartphone. Boils down to "I have one because everyone else does" NOT because they ACTUALLY have a use for it. Not ONE friend i have or had can ever give a reason, or atleast a good one.

18. C DM macrumors Westmere

Internet technologies evolve at a rapid pace and older browsers, if not updated (and sometimes even when updated), don't keep up with newer developments. Unless there's a huge user base that is using something old that needs to be supported for a particular user, a web site won't hold back on using newer and better technologies when they can. It's pretty much as simple as that.

19. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

This site had to move on, adapt to modern standards.

You, likely, should do the same.

20. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Bingo. I quite like the new forum software. It handles replies and quotes so well.

21. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

Other than the delay when typing the software is fine. How do i make newest posts 1st like the old software?

22. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin