Mobile Hotspot with OS 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by InvalidBassist, May 24, 2010.

1. InvalidBassist macrumors regular

InvalidBassist

Obviously the usual jail breaking will occur when it’s released but I'm wondering if anyone has heard of or has proof of built-in mobile hot-spotting with OS 4.0?

And if not, could it be one of the things that "won't disappoint" us on June 7th?

2. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Pretty unlikely in the US, given that we don't even have wired tethering yet. But one can dream.

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I'm sure, but it could be something Apple adds for all those countries that allow tethering. Some of those carriers might support it.

4. Fabienne macrumors 65816

Fabienne

5. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

By mobile hot spot I assume you are referring to the feature the Evo and the Froyo phones have? Just curious, what would you tether?

Personally, I would only use the feature to tether an iPod Touch and if I had an iPhone I wouldn't have one. Tethering via Bluetooth should work for most other things.

6. tuna macrumors 6502

I think it would be a great feature. Sprint is charging an additional $30/month to enable mobile hotspot on their phones. I'm sure that AT&T would love that extra revenue, the impression I've gotten is that they are mainly concerned with their capacity constraints. Their network in some places is already at capacity with people using data on their iPhones, where it is much "harder" to consumer data than with a real laptop where you could do a lot more downloading and the like.

This is one of the reasons that Apple should really try to get the iPhone out to as many carriers as possible. Obviously it would push the carriers to compete in terms of subscriptions and quality of service, but it would also spread iPhone usage out amongst more spectrum owned by more wireless carriers. Its easy for me to believe that in some regions, AT&T simply can't get its hands on enough radio spectrum to handle demand. Spread iPhone use out amongst spectrum owned by 3 or 4 carriers... quality could get a lot better.

7. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

iPad? Get the cheaper Wifi only model and tether on a single data plan to save $$$'s (or £££'s for me!) ;)

8. mubo macrumors regular

Does O2's tethering work from iPhone to ipad then?

9. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

Oh yea I forgot! I would never own an iPhone/Pad/Pod Touch at the same time but that's just me I guess.

10. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

I think this thread is more on about using you iPhone's Wifi connection to share your 3G connection (like a mobile hotspot), not the current solution.

If Apple added this to OS4, that would mean that any Wifi capable device could use your iPhone's 3G connection which would be nice.

11. hippo206 macrumors 6502

Sprint is charging 30 dollars (tax not included)for that service. I would rather get clear for 35 bucks (tax included), PHS for 120 bucks and have a seperate 4G hotspot that isn't using my phone battery.