Mobile Hotspot

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jason42892, Jun 4, 2011.

1. jason42892 macrumors newbie

Some quick questions: How exactly does the mobile hotspot work? I know it needs to be in a 3G area but does it cost anything extra or is it built into your data package? Thanks

2. darkside flow macrumors 6502

Depends on your carrier and data plan.

3. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

if you are in the US, i am sure that both AT&T and Verizon charge extra for the privilege to use your iphone as a Hot Spot

4. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Fixed :D

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Like the others said it depends on your carrier.
    Some charge extra for it while others dont. And you dont have to be on 3G, you can use it on 2G edge but it will be slow.

6. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Thanks ! :cool:

7. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

AT&T charges $20/month, and you have to activate it through the AT&T website. I think you could literally activate it one day and deactivate it the next because I just used it for a couple of weeks.

After that, you get a WiFi network name and password to use. Works pretty well, it just sucks that you have to pay $20 more.

8. Ksizzle9 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

I can tell you that while actually paying for ur hotspot, (not jb'ing and using a Cydia app) it is convenient. However, I would really o ly recommend this if u casually check your email or or casual web surfing. If you downlOad music, or torrents, it is painfully slOw, that is to be expected over 3G. If u need the web on the move, and the phone itself doesn't cut it, it's not a great option. But a decent one.

9. Ksizzle9 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

I can tell you that while actually paying for ur hotspot, (not jb'ing and using a Cydia app) it is convenient. However, I would really o ly recommend this if u casually check your email or or casual web surfing. If you downlOad music, or torrents, it is painfully slOw, that is to be expected over 3G. If u need the web on the move, and the phone itself doesn't cut it, it's not a great option. But a decent one.