Mobile hotspot

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by griffsterb, Jul 25, 2011.

1. griffsterb, Jul 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2011

griffsterb macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I am curious about this mobile hotspot stuff. My iphone has been jailbroken for some time, but I've never read up on doing this. I want to try and see if I can connect my computer to my iphone's internet. There might be threads out there but I didn't find much with a quick search. Google gave me 'MyWi' through Cydia but it's $20. Is there a way to get this working for free? Any information to enlighten me is much appreciated. Thanks.

2. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

No way for free without pirating.

TetherME is only $5 from Cydia. It's just as good as MyWi.

3. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

4. griffsterb thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

What does this mean exactly?

Also, do I need to be concerned about anything with Verizon? I won't get charged for using my Internet on other devices right? Thanks guys.

5. Nrwrit3r macrumors 6502a

With all 3, MyWi/PdaNet/Tetherme, you have a chance of getting caught by your provider. Most of the people who have been caught, however, have been on AT&T. There's a thread here called "questions for those who received tethering notice from at&t" that you could look at. Those who were caught have been charged for a month of tethering and put on the 2gb plan, I believe.

I use Tetherme and it works great. I highly recommend it because it lets you use the stock app instead of creating your own.

6. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

plus one on tetherme. been using over a year on big red...no probs

7. TC25 macrumors 68020

The free version of PDANet doesn't allow you to visit https sites.

8. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

lol... yes.... do you even know what https is? If not then google it.

There's no way to hide tethering from carriers. You are doing it at you own risk.

9. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

So far I have never been caught using TetherME and I'm on ATT. I only use it about every other week and only for a short time. Never used it to download something large, nor spent over 30min in use a one time.

10. Fineky macrumors newbie

Mobile hotspot

I want to buy a 4G mobile hotspot from Sprint, although my community only supports 3G at this time. I want to be able to use my laptop while I'm traveling and I wondered if I can use this hotspot to connect to the internet at all times, even at home and cancel my internet service provider.