Mobile Internet for USA vacation travelers

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by bensen, Mar 1, 2010.

1. bensen macrumors newbie

bensen

i plan to visit the usa in the summer for about 2 weeks. are there good mobile internet prepaid data plans available in the us? which one is the best for about 5-x GB?

2. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

I don't know of any prepaid plans for mobile data that are stand alone. It is possible that you might be able to get a SIM card for your mobile with an included data package, but this would only be for your cell phone, and probably quite expensive and not give you a whole lot of bandwidth.

Your best bet is to pick up free wifi where you can, the carriers here in the US suck when it comes to data charges...

3. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Virgin Mobile has a pay as you go data plan, but it isn't cheap. It may be what you are looking for, though. Check out the details here.

I think T Mobile has a similar plan, but they may have dropped it.

4. bensen thread starter macrumors newbie

bensen

thank you very much! virgin seems expensive but should be acceptable

5. Hmac macrumors 68020

Attached Files:

6. bensen thread starter macrumors newbie

bensen

i will be in san francisco city all the time. Thank you very much for the links! but AT&T doesnt seem to have prepaid data (via your link). :(

its so easy if someone comes to austria and wants mobile internet hes just to go to a discounter and buy for example a "yesss" data packages. 1GB for EUR 20,- prepaid, no contract, no activation fee, no registration. just the sim.

7. Hmac macrumors 68020

If we're talking about a data-only plan for a laptop, AT&T is 200mb for $35 and 5 gig for $60. And IIUC if you have the modem and it's on the right frequency, all you need is the sim card.

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-ph...lans/data-connect-plans.jsp?_requestid=156901

8. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Cricket offers unlimited 3G mobile broadband without a contract and the USB modems cost about $100.

9. mstrze macrumors 68000

Bensen:

San Francisco is one of the most connected cities in our country. I doubt you will have any problem finding free WiFi in a wide variety of locations.