Mobile me and gmail

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by techlover828, Jun 9, 2008.

1. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

So I have a gmail account, but I really like the new mobile me service, can I keep my gmail address but have all of the features of mobile me? It looks like a great service. Also, do we know when it's going to be available?

2. badlydrawnboy macrumors 65816

I have a Gmail account and I can't figure out why I'd need Mobile Me. I ditched .Mac this year because I got tired of paying $99 for features I could get for free elsewhere.

I don't need push calendar or contacts when I can just come home (or to work) and drop my phone in the cradle. It syncs within seconds, and presto! - all of my contacts and calendar are synchronized. Obviously with Gmail IMAP email is already "pushed" as it is.

I won't use the photo gallery or iDisk (I use AOL's free service).

So as far as I can tell, Mobile Me wouldn't get me anything I don't already have for free.

Am I missing something?

3. techlover828 thread starter macrumors 68020

techlover828

not really, I'm going to take advantage of the free mobile me trial and see if it offers any advantages

4. badlydrawnboy macrumors 65816

So will you set up Gmail to forward to your .Mac address during the trial, or what?

5. techlover828 thread starter macrumors 68020

techlover828

ya, I'm just hopping you can manipulate the emails and do everything you'd want to as if they just came to your @me address.

6. badlydrawnboy macrumors 65816

That's one of the things I love about Gmail. It's a free "front end" that can always be used no matter what other email addresses I'm using. AFAIK, forwarding your Gmail to .Mac should work just fine. As far as .Mac (or Mobile Me now, I guess) is concerned they're just like any other emails you'd receive.

I suppose you'd want to configure your return address in Mobile Me to be your Gmail address, too.

7. bmms8 macrumors 68020

will this type of push work for yahoo as well. i have a gmail account but i plan on getting the iPhone 3G and would love push, even if its sent through yahoo. Also, someone mentioned IMAP being push, is that true? i use POP on my macbook.

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

9. bmms8 macrumors 68020

o ok, because the 1st poster wrote that gmail imap was pushed, but i guess he is wrong

10. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

IMAP
    Push

basically push is 'always on' and you'll be notified immediately. IMAP is checks on intervals or when the client is open only. so that and a few other reasons its a bit more preferred than POP for a lot of people, but its not as fast or immediate as push.

11. badlydrawnboy macrumors 65816

Oops, that was me. I was wrong. I just meant that with Gmail IMAP my mail already is synchronized across all of my computers and my iPhone. I have the iPhone set to check email automatically every fifteen minutes, which is plenty frequent enough for me.

Of course Push just pushes out the emails as they come in, so if that kind of immediacy is important to someone Mobile Me would be great.

12. badlydrawnboy macrumors 65816

To the OP:

I don't believe there's a way to set up .Mac currently to use a different "From" email address. I imagine the same will be true for Mobile Me.

That means that when you send an email from Mobile Me, it will come from your Me.com address rather than your Gmail address. Not so good during a trial.

I'm in the same boat.

13. BLACK MAC macrumors 6502

I love the new mobile me. However I have gmail and not a big fan of mobile me price. Any idead if gmail will offer push mail and calendar?

14. CST macrumors member

What? I do that everyday. I choose what client I want to send from in the drop down box.

15. badlydrawnboy macrumors 65816

Is there a way, though, to set it up so that all mail sent out comes from a particular email address - no matter what address it was sent to?

And here we're talking about the Mail client, right? Is there a way within .Mac webmail to choose a different account to send from as well, and to set this by default?

16. badlydrawnboy macrumors 65816

Anyone know if .Mac webmail can be configured to send from a different address, i.e. Gmail?

17. fluff macrumors member

After watching the keynote, why wouldnt Google be able to pretty much create the same thing, especially push mail. Sounds like anybody will be able to push notices to devices. I am thinking Google will just come up with their own Google App that allows you to have push mail, calendar sync etc....And not have to pay $99/year...Lets hope...

18. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

No.

19. badlydrawnboy macrumors 65816

Too bad. That's a deal killer for me. I don't want to go through the hassle of changing my email address again, and I don't want to be married to .Mac for $99 a year when it's likely that Google will eventually (probably sooner, rather than later) offer a similar "push" service for free.

20. BLACK MAC macrumors 6502

You can purchase .mac on amazon for 69 with no tax and free shipping. However its still not as cheap as FREE!!! :D

21. jonspeaks22 macrumors newbie

I really don't see a point in purchasing when you can get everything for free. :confused:

22. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

A question - you can setup POP mail to check on .mac, and I'm wondering if that will push the POP email to my phone? Or will it only send the me.com straight to the iPhone? Guess that's kind of hard to answer - they give no info on this stuff.

Another thing I want to know is currently I use Outlook - with 500 megs of emails - I wonder if I use me.com to sync then to my mail app? It's the best way to convert everything over (in my mind).

Too many questions?

23. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I prefer the ad-free nature of .Mac over gmail, though I have both addresses.
    Also, there's more to .Mac than just email. Back to my Mac, web galleries, etc.

24. techlover828 thread starter macrumors 68020

techlover828

indeed, a big reason as to why I'd want it...

25. chrisgeleven macrumors 6502

Not sure if I will sign up for Mobile Me. I love the concept, but I don't have multiple Macs to take full advantage of it (I would sync my iPhone at least once a day with my home Mac, so that takes care of data syncs). We use Lotus Notes on my work computer running Windows XP, so I can't sync with that anyways.

My brother on the other hand probably will get Mobile Me. He has a Mac at home and the office and currently has to sync his iPhone with his work computer so he can have his work calendar and contacts on it. He didn't go for .Mac due to horror stories he has heard about syncing issues.

Mobile Me makes perfect sense for him (assuming it works much better then .Mac), as he can now have his work calendar and contacts on his home Mac, work Mac, and iPhone, all kept in sync.