mobile me better than google sync for contacts ?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by dazed, Jan 3, 2011.

1. dazed macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I tried google to sync my contacts and I didnt like the results (didnt seem to keep the first name / last name fields). Would Mobile Me be a better solution ?

Thanks

2. PurdueGuy macrumors regular

Trying to sync them to an iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch? Or between computers?

I was trying to use Google for syncing, but it follows Exchange stuff for mobile devices, and only supports a subset of field names. I have people's cell # listed under 'iPhone" if they have an iPhone. And Google won't sync that. They just don't sync at all, not even to an "other" field.

So I went back to MobileMe.

3. dazed thread starter macrumors 6502a

i was syncing my mac to it. Wasn't too impressed with the results but will try again. Im thinking maybe ill pick up mobile me from amazon and give that a go.

i was getting double and triple entries via google but im putting that down to user error. My main problem is it not maintaining the fields properly.

4. JuanGuapo macrumors 6502a

JuanGuapo

5. 87vert macrumors 6502

87vert

use the free trial and see if it works for you, then you can buy it if you like it.

6. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

I have a hard time giving up Gmail for MobileMe mail....BUT....

For contacts and calendar, go with MobileMe if you want a hassle free experience. If you find you need to have Google also in sync, there are multiple programs available to do just that.

All my devices sync through MobileMe...and 1 computer then pushes a copy of my contacts up to Gmail strictly for emailing purposes. I wanna say it's called Gsync but I'd have to check when I'm home.

7. dazed thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for all the feedback.

I dont want to use the trial as I'm wary about giving Apple my credit card details. If I did sign up, could I still purchase from Amazon before my trial expired and they wouldn't charge my card ?

Is there a way to remove my card details from their system after im done ?

Thanks

8. hollerz macrumors 6502a

hollerz

Yes and Yes! There's a big "Remove Credit Card" button in Account settings, and you can apply a Mobile Me code before your trial expires and it will use that instead.

9. kRobbin macrumors member

kRobbin

Mobile Me on Amazon?

I use Apple's Mobile Me and I'm very happy with it. I guess if all you plan to do in contact sync than Google sync might be ok but Mobile Me sync gives you lots more in a integrated package, plus you can use it to sync 3rd party apps. I'd go with Mobile Me! :D

10. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

You can buy it on Amazon (and Newegg for that matter) and save about $40.

11. alangrehan macrumors regular

Contacts and Calender are amazing with mobileme... far better than google and microsoft exchange (in my opinion).

As for email stick with gmail as this is superior ro everything else and dropbox is far quicker than iDisk.

12. kRobbin macrumors member

kRobbin

I paid $99, that sucks!!! Can I renew through Amazon?

13. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Yeah. They will mail you the box with the code and you go into your account settings and add it there.

14. dancedreamfly macrumors member

Definitely prefer MobileMe for contacts and calendar. As for mail, I set my MobileMe mail to forward to GMail mainly because MobileMe has no implementation of Labels yet, unlike GMail. Like some of the users on here, I also prefer Dropbox to iDisk.

15. Kristine macrumors 6502a

Totally agree! :)

16. JuanGuapo macrumors 6502a

JuanGuapo

Dude! Dropbox isn't just faster--it's better in every conceivable way than iDisk. 30 day backup redundancy, LAN Sync, and full AES encryption both in-transit and on the server. It's cheaper too.... :D

• Dropbox 50GB = $99/yr, 100GB = $199/yr
    • MobileMe 20GB = $99/yr -up to- 60GB = $199/yr

I contacted Dropbox support one time since I switched and I got a response within 45min. 45MIN! :eek:

I've contacted Apple's MobileMe support multiple times and 45 min is just how long it takes for them to go off-script and start working to fix your issue. God help you if they need to escalate the issue--then it's a 48+ hour wait for a response. Apple does computers well but are amateurs when it comes to cloud.

Yahoo, Gmail, or Hotmail are all superior to MobileMe mail. Apple can make it better but they sit on their hands when it comes to rolling out new features and making it at least on par with FREE services. Reliability has also been an issue as well as customer service.

17. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

MobileMe + Dropbox is the best combination. I have used Google Sync for years and it does work great but only if you are accessing via the web interface. When you try to use it within the iOS applications and Mac applications (Mail, Address Book, iCal) things start to get hairy. Like you said with the name fields, they don't transfer well and sometimes can cause conflicting data or duplicates. MobileMe is made to work with Apple ecosystem, no surprise it works much more flawlessly.

Dropbox is a better substitute for MobilMe's iDisk. Much faster and 2 GB is free so I just use it for documents and programming projects. I have plenty of free space. I have 3.5 GB though (Dropquest just last week gave 1 GB total for free) and many other things like that.

18. alangrehan macrumors regular

This is dropbox's best feature in my opinion,

Am I right in saying on the premium subscription this is extended to unlimited time?