Mobile Me: Custom outgoing email hack?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by mrblack927, Aug 23, 2010.

1. mrblack927 macrumors 6502a

mrblack927

Good morning everyone,

I, like many people, was thrilled to see that they've added support for "external email addresses" in Mobile Me's web client. Unfortunately, this change doesn't seem to have propagated down to the iPhone's Mail app. I have my .edu account email forwarded to MM, and from the web client I can send from that address with no problems. However, on the iPhone, even if I set up my .edu SMTP server as the primary outgoing server, my mail will still "send as" user@me.com, because that's what's in the from field in the settings.

The Mail app on iPhone is pretty much the same as the Mail app on OSX with one exception... on the iPhone, the "address" field is not editable! How can this be? On my Macbook Pro, it's as simple as changing the "address" field to my .edu address, and all email is sent from that address. On the iPhone, they have the exact same field, and for some unknown reason it can't be changed (see attached).

However, I am jailbroken and not afraid to poke around the iPhone filesystem. So my question is this, does anyone know where the email account settings are stored on the filesystem? I figure as long as the preferences are stored in plain text, I should be able to manually change that field. I'm just terrible at finding anything in there...

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. mrblack927 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mrblack927

3. silentsim macrumors regular

Change outbound SMTP settings to your original email. Should do the job (Did for me for my domain)

4. mrblack927 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mrblack927

From what I've tried, that simply sends an email using your SMTP server from your @me.com address. In other words, the email header data still has "from: user@me.com" but it sends the request to smtp.yourserver.com instead of smtp.me.com. Assuming your server doesn't outright reject the request, your recipient will still see "user@me.com" as the from address.

All you need to do is change that "address" string and that's the address it will load into the email header. Apple's decision to disable that field makes no sense...