Mobile Me Find My iPhone - location isn't right

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fender57, Nov 24, 2010.

1. fender57 macrumors 6502

I installed iOS 4.2 last night and tested the Mobile Me "Find My iPhone" feature and it worked great, located my iPhone with my exact location (my house). So today at work I tried it and it is indicating my iPhone is about 2 miles from where I'm actually at. Just thought I'd throw that out there, not sure why or how these location services work, I assume something in my area is throwing off the sensor.

2. alent1234 macrumors 603

either bad GPS signal or it's not getting good triangulation from the antennas due to the building you're in

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Like said above you're not locked into GPS signal cause of the building you're in probably and its just using cell tower triangulation that can be off like that.

4. fender57 thread starter macrumors 6502

OK, I went outside and sure enough, you guys were correct, it found my iPhone in the correct location. Don't know too much about how GPS works but I think the MobileMe function is pretty cool.

Mods, you can close this thread now. :D

5. LFSimon macrumors regular

LFSimon

Just be sure to lose your phone outside and not indoors!

6. fender57 thread starter macrumors 6502

Or at least not inside my building. I can at least lock it no matter where it's at though.

7. mad-dog-one macrumors 6502

I tried the same thing at my office and discovered that, while indoors (no GPS signal), it plots my location between the two closest cell antennas. I didn't get a chance to determine whether the location is more valid when I step outdoors, under an open sky.

8. mad-dog-one macrumors 6502

or, when you knock on a strange door with both guns drawn, consider that the
    guy that stole your iPhone may be in the house across the street, watching you confront his neighbor.

9. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

Where I work we are in an area of weak 3G signal. Our buildings are metal and unless I sit near a window all I can get is Edge. I have tried Mobile me and it correctly located my phone, but I was near a window. I'll have to try it again with my phone inside my metal locker. That will be interesting.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, that will definitely help in finding it easier:D

11. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Per Steve, you're holding it wrong. So when you lose your phone just make sure you're not covering the antenna. ;)

12. anonymouz1828 macrumors regular

Yep .. i update my iphone 4 4.0.2 to get "find my iphone" feature.